Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

TangSooGuy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Commercial Studio advice wanted.... Reply with quote

I currently run a club out of a YMCA that is very small overall (for a Y), and run my classes out of a small room there. I currently have about 35 students and don't do any real advertising.

The YMCA is moving into a brand new facility next year, and I may have the opportunity to move into the existing building, which already has locker rooms, office space, the small room I teach in, a main floor, and a weight room. 5,000 square feet in all.

It is in a relatively high traffic location, and would need almost no renovation. I could get this space for 2900/month. Most commercial locations of that size in the same area would go for twice that, at least.

I would also be continuing the YMCA program at the new facility, which I anticipate bringing in around $1000/month, possibly more.

I have around $25K in capital available, and should have more by next year.

Is this a worthwhile endeavor in your opinion? I'm leaning toward yes, but I may have to go into debt initially until the student numbers pick up. I also realize I'd need to put a marketing campaign together, as I rely solely on the YMCA and word of mouth at the moment.

Just curious how this situation sounds to people who have already done it.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the details but if I was in your shoes I would probably do it. Factors to consider would be demographics and possibilty of raising tuition.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

usatkdwtf
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: traditional and olympic tkd, boxing, kickboxing, bjj,

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to you a little bit, because I currently run my club out of a small parks ad rec. building. We are moving to a larger (gymnasium) location, thats more conviently located which is great. We grew into it tough by student # before we could move.

I would definetly go wit it. Sounds like you cant beat the deal all the way around. However, I would use the space of the weight room to rent out to different personal trainers and their clients.

I would also use the small room your in now for a growing dance scool, or cardio aerobics classes.

This building and location you described would have endless possiblities.

Mr. Mike
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: IKCA Chinese Kenpo

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could also advertise the need for instructors of additional disciplines to increase the material available at your school...for example, if you just have tang soo do that;'s all you can advertise for, but if you offer tang soo do as well as, say, tai chi, judo, BJJ, boxing, karate, etc. you can increase what you offer to the public, and at the same time help to benefit another instructor.

in a nutshell, I would jump at something like that...in a heartbeat.

look into napma and maia for help with marketing ideas as well as management and marketing tips.

Good luck, and godspeed.

-anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: