Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

pineapple
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Competition as requirement? Reply with quote

There are a few students who are not interested in participating in tournaments at all.
Should students be compelled to compete even if they do not desire to?

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that they should.

However, some styles are more geared towards competitions fighting than others, so students should be aware of the competition-based focus of any art/school that they want to train in before they start to train there.

I think that competitions can be a good thing for some students - increasing confidence is one benefit for example, but if a person really, really doesn't want to compete they shouldn't be forced to IMO.

Sheffield Steelers!

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different schools have different philosophies and requirements. If the student was told from the start that this was a requirement in this school, then he should either compete or find another school. If this is something that is sprung on him later, he might consider the integrety of the instructor and look elsewhereany way. So, I guess what I'm saying is the student should compete as required, or leave.

belar86
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that competitions are good for the lower grades to have a go at and they should go in a competition while a lower belt to see whether or not they are into competing - but competition should not become a requirement until the higher grades. Different people are in karate for different reasons - this should be acknowledged.

ladyj
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: American Karate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Competition is a wonderful training tool, however you do not have to have it to be a martial artist. I feel that competition is an individual choice and that is why we encourage potential students to sit in and watch a few classes so they can develop an idea of what is going on and usually after seeing a competition sparring class there are two questions... Am I going to be able to do that? or I don't want to do that, do I have to? To each his own, the technique will develop the same way... with repetition.

SloMo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Competing is a good way to build confidence in students but I do not feel it should be required of anybody.

The greatest value is that they get to spar people of different styles in open tournaments which is a great learning experience.

However, arranging a sparring class with another school would accomplish the same thing.

I'm not sure what the value is of making competition a requirement unless that is the main focus of your school.

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Competitions should not be required.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sensei never allowed his students to publically compete because to do so would be contractictory to the purpose of martial arts and would be an insult to him. My personal opinion is that modern competitions are for those who are still driven by their ego and should not be required for advancement to any rank. However, I will never discourage any student from competing and will give him/her the tools needed to be successful-if that is what they want.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

pineapple
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My sensei never allowed his students to publically compete because to do so would be contractictory to the purpose of martial arts and would be an insult to him

I understand that competition is not the main purpose of martial arts but I don't understand why it would be an insult. Can you explain further??

ladyj
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: American Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My sensei never allowed his students to publically compete because to do so would be contractictory to the purpose of martial arts and would be an insult to him....

Yes, please explain this. My sensei and I both compete periodically, but it is not about winning or losing it is seeing where our "weaknesses" are. If we are having trouble with focusing, speed, etc. we go back to the dojo and set up a new training routine focusing on the areas we feel are lacking and implement it into our normal training routine. Then after a few months we again return to the tournament arena and see if our routine was successful. Competition is used for many different reasons and to each his own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: