Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Cool looking modern kama Reply with quote

The kama isn't a favorite weapon of mine, but when I saw this...it really jumped out to me. What do you think?

A single one costs about $70 and also comes with a snap on leather sheath for the blade.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Cool, But looks more like a climbing axe!

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool looking modern kama Reply with quote

tatsujin wrote:

The kama isn't a favorite weapon of mine, but when I saw this...it really jumped out to me. What do you think?

A single one costs about $70 and also comes with a snap on leather sheath for the blade.

To me , I think its modern, flashy and impracticable - all the things I dont like .

We used the type available at local hardware store in Okinawa . But I find these unsuitable for what we do .

Now I prefer rubber ones - hard rubber . I would prefer wood - solid and all one piece with reinforcing between handle and blade . Like I got my wooden machetes made for training . I like to practice 'bunkai' from our 3 forms ; too dangerous with a sharp or pointy one and will cut, chunk, nick , a wooden weapon up in no time .

Gamma is not a 'strong weapon' between the handle and blade - not 'head on clash' strong , it relies more on movement and sharp cutting and piecing power ; so I can deflect, knock, strike aside with the handle or near the join of handle to blade , even hook over with the thick end of the blade near the handle with the rubber version , so defense isnt greatly compromised ; yet I can slash cut and pierce with the rubber blade on the others body , across the throat ,hook behind the knee and lift , come in low for an 'insertion' and rip back to take out the femoral artery ... etc . techniques I would never practice on another , even with a blunt metal blade .

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not crazy about the curve in the handle. It's going to throw the balance off unless you're just going to hold it like a hatchet.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:
I'm not crazy about the curve in the handle. It's going to throw the balance off unless you're just going to hold it like a hatchet.

I agree!!

Can't imagine its application with an attached cord. UNLESS the cord is so I'd not accidently drop it while using it only as a hatchet!!

Does look intimidatingly wicked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: