Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

elliot17
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thanks for taking the time to look at my post.
Well I'm having trouble with the first pattern in class.The problem is that the class isn't long enough for me to seem to be able to learn it.
We will only spend 10-15mins. out of the hour working on it.I catch on fast but then the master will stop to help one of the younger kids and I totally forget where I am at.
This Tuesday will only be my fifth class and I feel like I am not keeping up with the rest of the class.
I don't even know if the class is WTF or ITF but I will find out on Tues.I have looked at the ITF and WTF web sites and both of the forms are similar, but different.
My Master says to picture a capital I and we start at the bottom of the I choonbe, turn to the left, low block,three middle punches,turn,lowblock then? I can't remember now.If I could see someone do it from beginning to end I think I could complete it alot easier than stopping and starting at every turn while Master helps someone else.
Does anyone have any advice?
I'm not that frustrated but I sure could use some better tips, as my kids are in my class and ask when we get home to help them with the form as well.

Thank You For Any Advice You Have
Sincerely, Elliot
J.W. Park Academy, Rochester Mn.
Under Master Randy Ash

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are of course smaller denominations of tae kwon do, but to my knowledge ITF and WTF are the most common. I know my first pattern, Chon-Ji of the ITF patterns, began with a low block and one middle punch, but not three. You should get back to us after you ask your master what the school's affliliations are.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first pattern of WTF is Chon-Ji, and begins with A low block and a punch, and the first pattern of the ITF style is typically Palgwue Il Jang, which begins with a low block then a middle block.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the first kata of TKD similar to the first kata in shotokan karate?

From what I've been told, it sounds very similar to Taikyoku Shodan, or Kihon kata

Saying that I might be able to help, but its better that u talk to a TKD man.

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

jakmak52
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF TKD (Chang Hon) & Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-17 10:30, Jack wrote:
The first pattern of WTF is Chon-Ji, and begins with A low block and a punch, and the first pattern of the ITF style is typically Palgwue Il Jang, which begins with a low block then a middle block.

Isn't it the other way around

This might help...

http://www.itatkd.com/v-202.html

[ This Message was edited by: jakmak52 on 2002-02-17 15:09 ]

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elliott Welll, the first TKD form I ever learned was Kibon 1 (basic form 1) and the whole form moves in the shape of an 'I', (starting with low block 'arae makki' and then middle punch 'momtong chirugi') and my school is WTF, but I'm not sure whether this is the same form that you are learning. I have no experience with ITF forms so maybe it's the same for both or maybe not, haha. Well I guess one way to tell the difference between ITF and WTF is that the forms in WTF are called 'poomse' and are usually labeled as Taegeuk 1-8 and then the black belt forms have separate names after that starting with Koryo. The ITF forms are called 'hyung' if I am not totally mistaken and misinformed lol but hope this helps if not then it feels great to post anyways b/c I feel like typing

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

dreamer38f
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elliott17,
In Chong-ji that I did, it was low block-middle punch in 4 direction and back stance, middle block then middle punch in 4 directions. Always turn the direction of the hand punching. All together showing the heaven and earth meaning of the form in 19 movements.

Is there a video or handout available to purchase? This helped me a lot.

When I learn a new form, It takes me bout a month or so for it to sink in!

Just dont give up...it will happen!

becki
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

relax!!! only youre fifth class...i dont even feel you should allready be into forms at your fifth class..you have to develop all of your basics and be very comfortable with them first before doing forms..maybe thats the first thing wrong..and you also said you feel youre not keeping up..ask your instructor to take the time to help you out..many people when starting out martials arts may feel very intimidated to the point were they are afraid to do one simple thing..ASK!!! your paying him..so he works for you ..got it???...take your time..dont get frustrated...break down all your techniques..and practice them over and over..learn your forms a couple of steps at a time..like say..im going to only work on the first four steps today..adn when you get those down..add another four steps..and so on..but again i must stress that you are not ready yet to start forms..which for you may be chon ji ..or taeguk ill jang..depending on your dojang.. work on getting your body used to the basics for now..work on walking back and forth in your foward/back stances while doing your low blocks..revrse punches..middle block..high e.t.c...once you are very comfortable with all of those basics then you will be ready to go into forms....we usally dont start showing the first form to our students until at least a month of training them in the basics...

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good advice taezee! Like he said... break it down .... do the first couple of moves over and over again .... take the next 4 and so on.
At our school when we have a big class night ... the advanced belts help the newer students with their form. Also, if willing, videotape your instructor of another student doing that form in class in your accustomed surroundings. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I was a beginner, diagrams in books and videos just confused me. I videotaped at test time when all the belts did form and I had them all on video!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.itatkd.com/aa_form1.html
Good diagram and explanation here!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: