Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

CloudDragon
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Jujitsu, Kenpo, Taekwondo, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Constantly review your basics, know the kata inside and out, if you do one or three step sparring know those too. Nothing will make you feel worse than forgetting something that you need to teach.

embm
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Mixed Martial Arts Chung Do Kwan TKD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Cloud - know your basics. The best thing about teaching is that you learn as you teach. Being able to explain the techniques and demonstrate them help you become a better martial artist. My instructor tells his teachers that there are instructors who can explain the techniques, and instructors who can do the techniques - the good ones can do both.

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks embm
hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

xtremartialarts1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: tkd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to become and be a good instructor you should do more than what is expected of you. Showing up and helping out at beginner classes, as well as arriving early and helping out at special events shows you are dedicated to the school and responsible. Believe me, your master instructor will notice. But once you are an instructor, you must be willing to donate a LOT of your time. You should be able to learn the buisness end, learn to be a better instructor, and train harder at your own class. Believe me- it's worth it to be an instructor and make an impact on people's lives.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: teaching Reply with quote

Cathal,

All the suggestions so far are excellent!! I would also suggest you take some classes in anatomy and biomechanics. This will help you to better understand the movements within the body and what makes them effective.

Most important however, is to give it time. You will make mistakes. As long as you learn from them, you are doing great.

SloMo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree whole heartedly with the advice that has been given. The only thing I would add is to be proactive in getting feedback about your teaching. Don't be afraid to ask for advice ( like you are already doing ) and don't worry about mistakes, we all make 'em.

Oh yeah, you can also read up on teaching. There are books on teaching martial arts that are very good and have good recommendations. You can learn from any good teacher.

Good luck!

Mo

Sunrunner
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshin Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to one of your instructors and tell them, "I eventually want to teach, how can I meet this goal?" Sit down with your instructor(s) and talk about your specific goals, get feedback, advise, suggestions. Good luck in your journey.

"train until the art becomes an artless art, flowing from the unconscious."

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Small Variety....."Spice of Life"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any instructor would be GREATLY HONORED if you approach him/her with the goal to become a instructor.

If you demonstrate dedication, he/she should help you towards this goal.

searcher
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-ryu(Shorin and Shorei), Isshinryu, Hawaiian Kenpo, Judo, Ryukyu Kobudo Currently studying ITF TKD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it has already been said, observe the instructors and then design your teaching style around the framework that they have. If it is at all possible go visit other instructors of Shotokan that are in and not in your organization. This will expand your exposure to different teaching styles and how other people react to different teaching styles. Even though you have stated that you want to teach a specific style, add some other styles to your own knowledge base. This will also show you other ways of teaching and give you more knowledge to pass on to your students. You need to start assisting as soon as you can to "get your feet wet."
You might not like teaching once you start teaching, it is better to find this out as soon as you can.

If you plan on opening your own school take some marketing, business, psychology, and sociology classes at your local college or university.

The last thing is to get yourself some anti-acid and ibuprofen to help out with all of the frustration that comes with the growing pains of learning to teach.

Lastly, ask other instructors about the things they would have done differently when they were learning. Cumunication is the key to learning.

SloMo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say discuss it with your current instructor. See what they have to say about you instructing. I don't know where you are at in your training but it might it might be too early to begin teaching at this point.

The best instructors are the best students. Pay attention to how the good instructors teach. Look at how they manage the class as a whole, at how they teach on a one to one level and how they handle people who are having difficulties.

Also READ! There are a bunch of very good books on teaching martial arts and teaching in general.

It sounds like you are already on the right road to get what you want so keep up the enthusiasm!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: