Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you throw a cross do you keep both feet flat on the floor or do you roll your back foot onto the ball?

on a different note.

latest report on my kick-boxing.

i still find myself going back to wing chun postitions then realising that i've got boxing gloves on and i can't actually do small traps from underarm anymore...

you have no idea how many times i've gotten hit cos of that.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with some of the other folks that have already posted. I think that you might be trying to use your cross across your body. Cross body techniques tend to lock your frame. This renders the technique powerless and usually slow as you try to boost the power by using muscle instead of snap. If you push and roll on the ball of the rear foot as Drunken Monkey has stated above, you will move your center line with the cross so that the frame doesn't lock up. If you relax and try what we're talking about here this should help.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the help!!...

I know to throw a cross i need to turn my hips, effectively turning my rear leg up onto the ball of my foot.

I can do this but feel really exposed, immobile and slow.

When i do this I put most of my weight onto my lead leg (as a lead leg kicker i don't like doing this, because i want to keep it between me and my opponent), I end up with my body square on to my opponent (massive target) and generally find myself rooted to the floor.

As a lead leg kicker when i throw a kick I have all my weight on my rear leg, To then do a cross I've got to get that leg down to the floor transfer all my weight forward onto it and do a big twist to get my hips round.

I think a cross is a very effective punch but i'm really struggling to make mine work.

Keep it coming! thanks!

Bretty

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diversify! Learn to do the cross both with the step thru and the stance change, and let those maneuvers set you up for the rear leg power kick. Add a new demension to your fighting skills.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get fixated into something like "I'm a lead leg kicker". Learn to fight 100%, not 25%.

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Hakutsuru (White Crane Karate), Shaolin Kenpo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the ball of your foot to help push your weight off of it. or propel your body forward if that makes sense. To help keep the chin down use one of those spungy nerf balls or something under your chin and pin it to your chest that way you can shadow box and do what ever and if you keep that ball under there it forces you to keep your chin down or it will fall out. Good drill to do. -Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: