Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

NewLevel
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Cross Training Karate or BJJ Reply with quote

Hey guys. Just wanted some sound advice here.

I've been a student of Taekwondo for about 8 years now and at a brown belt level. We haven't really had any classes for a few years now due to the busyness of the instructor with his job and our facility where the classes were held had been shut down. Eventually, the instructor might continue to teach and then he may not.

I had some minor injuries over the past few years and honestly was out of practice. I still remember techniques but as far as our forms go and such, I'm completely rusty.

Our TKD style resembles that of Shotokan as far as standing techniques and forms but didn't cover much ground work unless it was your basic armbar or leglock.

We have a local BJJ / Judo / MMA gym near us that is connected to the Gracie's that I have been thinking of joining. They have classes everyday of the week. The instructor and owner of the BJJ gym was trained in TKD under my instructor and received Dan grades under him back 12-15 years ago.

There is the potential that teacher of the BJJ gym could test me for black belt in TKD as well with permission from my instructor.

Honestly, I keep putting off visiting the BJJ gym since I'm a big guy (over 350 pounds at about 6 feet) and 32 years old. I feel I would be the biggest guy in the class amongst other very fit guys and gals. I need to lose the weight though.

However, on the other hand I have a deep attraction to my TKD style's roots in Karate and there is a Matsubayashi Shorin-Ryu school that recently opened up in my state but it's over 2 hours away that I've been thinking of visiting and trying out. But the main concern there is just time and travel. The classes are twice a week but due to work I would only be able to attend maybe once a week.

Would it be more beneficial to pick up BJJ/Judo at the local school since really the two arts Taekwondo and BJJ are completely different? Or would attending the Shorin-Ryu school be more beneficial?

In the future, I would hope to learn one or the other eventually.

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were in your situation, I would choose convenience. 4 hours is a long commute which gets less convenient with bad weather. Don't worry about being out of shape. I bet there will be other out of shape people there. I know it is easier to stay motivated and committed with easy access. For me anyway.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving aside the considerations made by LLEARNER (that I agree) , I think that TKD/BJJ or Judo is a better cross training combination because it will add to your curriculum a grappling experience which is more useful than learning the same things done in different manner.

pinklady6000
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: wrestling, shinkicking, jkd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Training Karate or BJJ Reply with quote

NewLevel wrote:
Hey guys. Just wanted some sound advice here.

I've been a student of Taekwondo for about 8 years now and at a brown belt level. We haven't really had any classes for a few years now due to the busyness of the instructor with his job and our facility where the classes were held had been shut down. Eventually, the instructor might continue to teach and then he may not.

I had some minor injuries over the past few years and honestly was out of practice. I still remember techniques but as far as our forms go and such, I'm completely rusty.

Our TKD style resembles that of Shotokan as far as standing techniques and forms but didn't cover much ground work unless it was your basic armbar or leglock.

We have a local BJJ / Judo / MMA gym near us that is connected to the Gracie's that I have been thinking of joining. They have classes everyday of the week. The instructor and owner of the BJJ gym was trained in TKD under my instructor and received Dan grades under him back 12-15 years ago.

There is the potential that teacher of the BJJ gym could test me for black belt in TKD as well with permission from my instructor.

Honestly, I keep putting off visiting the BJJ gym since I'm a big guy (over 350 pounds at about 6 feet) and 32 years old. I feel I would be the biggest guy in the class amongst other very fit guys and gals. I need to lose the weight though.

However, on the other hand I have a deep attraction to my TKD style's roots in Karate and there is a Matsubayashi Shorin-Ryu school that recently opened up in my state but it's over 2 hours away that I've been thinking of visiting and trying out. But the main concern there is just time and travel. The classes are twice a week but due to work I would only be able to attend maybe once a week.

Would it be more beneficial to pick up BJJ/Judo at the local school since really the two arts Taekwondo and BJJ are completely different? Or would attending the Shorin-Ryu school be more beneficial?

In the future, I would hope to learn one or the other eventually.

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

first one needs to loose 100lb through diet. Then one can add weight lifting, only do the squat for three reps and the deadlift, three reps. every day.
then add the rear punch with both hands. This will take a year.

then join the BJJ class.

pink

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that you can potentially continue your TKD training, and also become involved in BJJ in one fell swoop; I would argue that you take up Brazilian Jujutsu. You know the instructor so that is always a benefit, it is conveniently located compared to the Matsubayashi-Ryu class, and has training available everyday which maximises your training possibilities.

It sounds as though you are largely concerned about your weight being a factor; and to be frank it will be. However, that will be true for both locations. Training as often as possible will help with weight loss, and I would also recommend organising for yourself a daily work out routine, and a diet plan.

I am a Shorin-Ryu practitioner, and have taught Tae Kwon Do veterans; and there are enough significant differences that yes, you can learn something new by practicing karate. So from the martial arts perspective both have something to offer. However; I do think you might benefit more from the sophisticated grappling of BJJ at this point, than you would Matsubayashi-Ryu, and I think convenience alone and the possibility of continuing your TKD training has to win out.

With all that said as well; you can always explore the karate routes by attending courses. If you are willing to travel 2 hours for one lesson a week, I would recommend putting that willingness towards going to courses instead.

Last edited by Wado Heretic on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I recommend you see your doctor. Since there may be additional medical and injury concerns, advice would be beneficial.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered trying each school for a period of time to see which resonates best with you? That's what I'd do. When I started taekwondo where I live, I was really close to choosing one of the local karate schools instead because I wanted the "Japanese" style over "Korean." In the end, I settled on splitting the difference - TKD and Iaido. The guy who taught iaido ended up running a belt mill when it came to kobudo and karate (hardcore iadio, but not a great instructor.) The TKD school is far more serious and rigorous. I'm glad I opened my mind to try it.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Karate is the core, and there's no grappling learned/taught in the core, to speak about, then I'd say that that Karateka would benefit quite a lot from leaning and incorporating BJJ/or any grappling style, i.e., Judo or wrestling.

After all, it is better to be equipped, than to not be equipped at all...JUST IN CASE!!

Not all fights end up on the ground, but the percentages will favor that you'll end up on the ground. If you've no grappling skills, and you're on the ground, well, you're in a world of boo-boo; not a good place to be at.

So, yeah, learn BJJ/Judo/Wrestling/etc. AS WELL!! Why not!! Nothing to lose, but everything to gain, imho.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm biased, so lets start there!

Adding a pure ground-based art to your stand up repertoire will pay off quicker with greater dividends across all ranges of combat.

I'd go with jits. Actually, now that I think about it, it's what I did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: