Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2001 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absoulutely right. Crosstraining is a must but you should at least obtain a black belt in the art that you take first. Or your crosstraining will have no effect because just the basics will mess you up.

Disturbed
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel the need to cross train then surely you feel your chosen art lacking!!, what does astound me is the amount of martial artists, who just want to be able to knock the stuffing out of someone else, are we not missing the point here!!!

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Angus mostly, except for the fact that he is sort of wandering back and forth between arts (or that's how he makes it seem). I train in two arts, one a lot more than the other (tae kwon do 3-4 times a week, BJJ once a week just to start off), and I think it's already (after only 3 BJJ classes) making more well-rounded. The only real problem is that in tae kwon do they tell you "stay on your feet, if you fall stand back up," and in BJJ it's all, "the mat is your best friend," and stuff. besides that I think cross-training is excellent, and it keeps one art from getting a little tedious.

Cory Reynolds
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-23 10:08, Disturbed wrote:
If you feel the need to cross train then surely you feel your chosen art lacking!!, are we not missing the point here!!!

I'm all about cross training, but I think that Disturbed made a great point. People take a martial art or arts for many reasons. One of the biggest ones can be for self defense and that's fine. A lot of people like to take them though just to learn and preserve the actual "art" in the closest to the origional form that they can find. They deffinately won't cross train because they want to keep it as pure as they possibly can, especially if they wish to pass it along to others in the same fashion.

On the other hand, for those who truely wish to capitalize on the self defense side of it and feel that what they are studying conflicts with what you see as being real self defense, then why stay there? There are plenty of freestyle schools out there that have done the work of studying the different styles and combined them into their own logical type of martial art. You can do this on your own also, knowing that it will probably take a lot longer and much more money. To some I guess that's half of the fun though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you feel the need to cross train then surely you feel your chosen art lacking!!, "

Don't they all lack something? That's why we cross-train.

"You're absoulutely right. Crosstraining is a must but you should at least obtain a black belt in the art that you take first. Or your crosstraining will have no effect because just the basics will mess you up. "

I don't believe this is true at all. Didn't you learn math and english in school and still got the basics? I've been cross-training in several martial arts from day one and I find that people that crosstrain learn at a faster rate than those that just do one style.

"A lot of people like to take them though just to learn and preserve the actual "art" in the closest to the origional form that they can find. They deffinately won't cross train because they want to keep it as pure as they possibly can, especially if they wish to pass it along to others in the same fashion. "

A person handcuffed by tradition is truly stagnating the growth and evolution of a martial art. For something to be considered a martial-art, I feel that it should be alive and dynamic.

"On the other hand, for those who truely wish to capitalize on the self defense side of it and feel that what they are studying conflicts with what you see as being real self defense, then why stay there? "
Without the self-defense and fighting, a system is no longer a martial art, it is just art. If a person wants to learn just techniques and tradition, fine, but dn't call it martial-art, call it self-expression dancing or something.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah blah blah, this thread isn't about the preservation of the artform. We all know that not everyone wants to be a fighter. This thread wasn't started as a discussion of artform, it was started for something totally different.

This argument erupts all the time! Argh!!!
Angus

Cory Reynolds
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 2002-02-23 15:18, thaiboxerken wrote:
"Don't they all lack something? That's why we cross-train. "

So far I don't cross train. The freestyle school that I'm from is already made up of many different kinds of martial arts. I'm not saying that we know how to do everything, far from it. I'm just saying that I feel fairly well rounded where I'm at. I know that eventually I'll hunger for more though.

"A person handcuffed by tradition is truly stagnating the growth and evolution of a martial art. For something to be considered a martial-art, I feel that it should be alive and dynamic. Without the self-defense and fighting, a system is no longer a martial art, it is just art."

Excellent way of saying what I was trying to get at. I believe that the term "martial arts" is very loosely thrown around these days. While most people will disagree with me, I think that most traditional martial arts should be put into a classification all it's own. When origionally created, the traditional arts that we practice today were at the top of their league as far as innovation and advancement. A modern comparison would be what I would call freestyle martial or fighting arts that combine many different forms of self defense. I also think that the miltary in all it's forms use the most modern of "martial arts."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So far I don't cross train. The freestyle school that I'm from is already made up of many different kinds of martial arts. "

So you only train in one martial art at the school, or do you train in the system which has a combination of many different arts?

Cory Reynolds
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-24 10:52, thaiboxerken wrote:
So you only train in one martial art at the school, or do you train in the system which has a combination of many different arts?

I train in American freestyle Tae Kwon Do. The "freestyle" refurs to that it takes advantage of different martial arts. Primarially Karate, Tae Kwon Do, and Western Kickboxing; but also Judo, Aikido, etc. Overall I can't truely say that we don't cross train, because we're always searching for better ways to do things while still keeping our foundation strong. But overall I don't take classes anywhere else though. I'm feeling a need to learn some BJJ though, so that might change soon.

Ryukyu1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all for cross training. I think it gives you that extra edge. I am somewhat sceptical of those schools which claim to teach all styles bunged into one. Surely this is just a case of the chief instructor taking what the bits which work for them from various other styles. Then you think if they have all these bits surely they cross trained!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: