Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

humblecanadiangojuguy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Define Sensei Reply with quote

I know what Sensei means literally, but what does it mean to be a good Sensei ? Thanks

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...but what does it mean to be a good Sensei ?

VERY good thread, and I'm looking forward to the responses.

Obviously, since sensei means "good teacher", a sensei must be...a good teacher! So, what makes a good teacher?

Obviously, good and varied knowledge of his subject is essential. You can't teach it to others, if you don't know it yourself. I saw a dojo once where there were three instructors working with the class...They were 4-6th Dan black belts and they argued constantly in front of the students about how to do certain techniques..that is NOT good teaching! Also, they had to refer to a manual constantly on how to do the techniques. Those techniques weren't that complicated (or it didn't seem like it to me anyway).

A good teacher needs to be patient and understanding. He can't be "perfect", but rather has to be very good, but can accept the fact that he/she makes mistakes also, and can laugh at himself. I'm almost perfect myself. I have that "walk on water" technique just about down pat, but still getting my ankles a bit wet, (that's a joke, in case you weren't sure)

A good teacher must lead by example. You can't tell the students one thing, then do something else himself.

A good teacher should be able to explain concepts in various ways, because everybody learns in different ways, and at different speeds.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. I'm sure there's quite a bit more, but I think these are the main points.

Darce
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shukokai Karate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great teacher should not have favourite students.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good instructor should also have a well defined curriculum, and stick to it. Each one of us probably has or had rank standards that you will be graded on. It is the instructors responsibility to make sure that each one of the standards are well covered in class. A good instructor should not be all over the place, teaching a concept today then never revisiting it. Students will practice what is on the test. If it is important, put it on the test. If it isn't, then don't teach it. Also, as Shorinryu Sensei had touched on, no instructor is perfect. If your instructor has an answer for _everything_, then there is a good chance he could be feeding a line of * when he doesn't know the answer. The teacher should also have a working knowledge of some of the scientific concepts of how things work, such as how to generate power and throw a proper punch and why a throw works. The superstitious, dogmatic * about shock waves and towel snaping crap that has been passed down for generations should be thrown in the trash where it belongs.

stl_karateka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu & Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread!!!
A good teacher:

- sets the example
- knows their student's limits, capabilities and potential
- demands respect through actions, not force
- knows more than just moves: history of art
- keeps students interested
- has students that want to learn
- understands the importance of basics
- established curriculum
- teaches / builds character
- establish relationship with students (if its just a couple minutes between class, its enough to show you care --- if Jonny plays soccer or is having a hard time in math a good teacher will know)
- doesn't compromise training for money or belts

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO A good sensei is:
-someone who earns the respect of his students, rather than demands it;
-someone who listens to questions and responds - and will admit when they don't know everything, rather than just giving a * response;
-someone who is patient and kind and willing to demonstrate techniques;
-someone who sets a good example and leads by example;
-someone who cares about their students and wants to build a good relationship with them;
-someone who tries not to have 'favourite' students;
-someone who knows what their students are capable of and always encourages them to acheive their best;
-someone who is positive in correction and doesn't make students feel foolish for not being able to get a technique right;
-someone who is firm and disciplined with students but never harsh or unfair;
-someone who can explain a technique to many different people and always ensure that they understand what he/she is talking about.

There's other things too, such as punctuality, commitment, keeping promises, etc but above all, realising that you're only human and will make mistakes!

Sheffield Steelers!

hajime
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl_karateka wrote:
Nice thread!!!
A good teacher:

- sets the example
- knows their student's limits, capabilities and potential
- demands respect through actions, not force
- knows more than just moves: history of art
- keeps students interested
- has students that want to learn
- understands the importance of basics
- established curriculum
- teaches / builds character
- establish relationship with students (if its just a couple minutes between class, its enough to show you care --- if Jonny plays soccer or is having a hard time in math a good teacher will know)
- doesn't compromise training for money or belts

how true. I will add they have a sense of humour. They cannot ever bully anyone or use their skills to deliberately hurt a student.
It's important to have 100% trust in them.

WhiteBelt
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody is a sensei at some point in their life. Whenever you help another student in class you are in effect a sensei. So it all boils down to character (subjective), knowledge (more than the student), a willingness to share their knowledge, and most importantly their skill at teaching others.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorinryu Sensei wrote:
Quote:
...but what does it mean to be a good Sensei ?
Obviously, since sensei means "good teacher", a sensei must be...a good teacher!

You guys have all listed some really good qualities and concepts for a good teacher. But in my mind, there is one thing that sets a really good teacher apart from the others who share these qualities. That is an overriding desire to give his students the tools necessary to be better than he is.

Humility is a necessary attribute if the good instructor has this desire. So is a belief in what you are teaching- that it is right and bennificial. It implies that the students are his primary focus. It does not mean making them a clone of yourself, but setting them on the proper path. It doesn't mean that you make someone great, but that you give him the tools to become great. It means you sometimes let go, encourage them to learn from other sources when appropriate.

It really means you forget the ego and the politics, get your butt on the matt and teach!

Last edited by delta1 on Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what someone on another forum, where I lurk from time to time, wrote about good instructors:

Quote:
Spirals not Circles- by The Sleepy Old Cat

The Cycle Template:
Yang. Yin. Tao.
Thesis. Antithesis. Synthesis.
Simplicity. Complexity. Sophisticated Simplicity.
Basics. Training methods (Forms, Techniques, Sparring). Sophisticated Basics.

The Cycle Incomplete:
The trap of affinity for complexity.
The finger pointing to the moon.

Three Types of Teachers:
1. Knows the path, and guides the student through the maze.
2. Knows the path, but keeps the student in the maze.
3. Does not know the path, and wanders in the maze with the student.

Just another interesting viewpoint.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: