Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Difference between JFK Goju and the rest Reply with quote

I learned about a Goju Ryu school that teaches "Eibu Kan Goju Ryu" and is affiliated with the JKF.
It does not appear to be identical to the traditional gritty Okinawan Goju, but it is very Japanese flavored and has sports characteristics.
Is there a significant difference between organizations?
I was thinking about checking it out and was particularly interested in their bunkai breakdown.
I know that watching a class is the best way to guage, but I've never been to a Goju Ryu dojo and am aware that there are different styles, just like shotokan.

P.A.L
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the difference is very minor. on Okinawa some schools do the sanchin with couple of turns also some schools incorporate kobudo. as for the bunkai, I would say the Okinawan goju has more close fight and clinch bunkai but again bunkai is very personal. Sensei Hokama sees a neck break where others see a strike to a rib but again bunkai has no limit.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have admittedly never heard of Eibu Kan as a branch of Goju-Ryu. Does it have any connections to the following:

Shodokan
Jundokan
Shoreikan
Meibukan
Goju-Kai
USA Goju

Shodokan and Jundokan may be considered the Orthodox Schools of Okinawan Goju-Ryu. They both stick to the classic 12 kata that Miyagi Chojun settled on as his cannon before his death in 1953. Although, there are some differences between the two in the performance of Sanseru, Seisan, and Suparimpei from what I have witnessed.

Meibukan and Shoreikan have innovated and added kata to their syllabi beyond the 12 Kata of Miyagi, however, they are still functionally Okinawan Goju-Ryu in all other ways. They both also have additional kumite exercises not found in Shodokan or Jundokan.

Goju-Kai is often called Japanese Goju-Ryu, and it has adopted a number of the conceits of Japanese Karate. Such as kicks including Mawashigeri, Sotogeri, and Ushirogeri as found in Shotokan, Wado-Ryu, and Shito-Ryu and other Japanese style. It has Taikyoku kata for beginners learnt before Gekisai dai Ichi and dai ni. Both versions of their Gekisai also follow the same embusen line which is not done on Okinawa. There are also a set of four "shihan" kata which are very different in character to Miyagi's 12 Kata.

USA Goju is an invention of Peter Urban and the kata are similar to, but have key and noticeable differences, including the omission and addition of various techniques to the Kata. There is also a greater emphasis on self-defence techniques which give the kumite exercises an entirely different flavour.

If it is connected to any of those it will probably give you more insight into the Goju-Ryu they practice. Otherwise, it is an absolute mystery to me.

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your responses; they were extremely helpful in understanding the differences.

Here's the website: https://eibukangojuryu.com/

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reading the histories of the resident Sensei there seems to a blend of those who studied on Okinawa and on mainland Japan. As such I would expect the club to practice classical Goju-Ryu. Which is to say I imagine they focus on Miyagi’s 12 Kata, and the core materials common to all streams of Goju-Ryu.

As far as I know JKF Goju Kai is simply the branch of the Japan Karate Federation that exists for Goju-Ryu practitioners, and bar both being Goju Ryu Associations, is unrelated to the Goju Kai of Yamaguchi Gogen and its idiosyncrasies.

It does mention Hisanaga Hanshi, their founder, studied with Kyoda Juhatsu. Kyoda was the founder of Toon-Ryu (Tou’on) which many consider closer to the system of Higoanna Kanryo. However, unless Hisanaga has retained any of the teachings from Toon-Ryu I imagine Eibu Kan is likely very much aligned with Goju-Ryu.

If you are close by I would drop in. They seem like they have a knowledgeable group of teachers at hand. I know I would visit if I was in the vicinity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: