Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

superleeds
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Different JJ styles. Reply with quote

One of the instructors in our karateclub,adviced me to mix, my karate wih some JJ. Just to get a foot in the grappling worl, and as sutch be more well rounded at self defence. But what style should i choose? What is the main difference between small circle JJ, brazilian JJ and other forms of JJ? Any advice would be appriciated.

Venezolano
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, TKD, Karate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know Japanese Jiu Jitsu and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which is i practice.

I guess the main difference is that BJJ is more ground fighting oriented, it has more ground techniques, while Japanese Jiu Jitsu has more stand up skills.

Particulary i like more BJJ than JJJ, but it's my opinion

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jujutsu has many many styles. Very few of which you will find in the western world. Kage Jujutsu, Aikijutsu, Aikido, etc......... along with the less "traditional" styles of Small Circle and BJJ.

Personally, the traditional JJ styles are infinetly more complete, covering a wide area of combat from unarmed to armed and single to multiple opponents.

If you were going to drop karate, I would say do a complete system like Aikido, Aikijutsu and traditional JJ styles.

If you are going to carry on with Karate, then do a less complete system that wont contradict what you have learnt in stand up fighting like BJJ.

For example, Aikido throws punchs very different to that of Karate, so if you did both, then you would have very different teachings. However BJJ teachs only ground fighting, and not really punching and kicking, so they will compliment eachother, and not contridict.

Just IMHO ofcourse.

Take Care.

Venezolano
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai wrote:
Jujutsu has many many styles. Very few of which you will find in the western world. Kage Jujutsu, Aikijutsu, Aikido, etc......... along with the less "traditional" styles of Small Circle and BJJ.

Personally, the traditional JJ styles are infinetly more complete, covering a wide area of combat from unarmed to armed and single to multiple opponents.

If you were going to drop karate, I would say do a complete system like Aikido, Aikijutsu and traditional JJ styles.

If you are going to carry on with Karate, then do a less complete system that wont contradict what you have learnt in stand up fighting like BJJ.

For example, Aikido throws punchs very different to that of Karate, so if you did both, then you would have very different teachings. However BJJ teachs only ground fighting, and not really punching and kicking, so they will compliment eachother, and not contridict.

Just IMHO ofcourse.

Take Care.
No it doesn't

BJJ also has stand up game, but it focuses to ground fighting which is different, it's like Judo, it's string in throws but it also has ground fighting techniques (ne-waza), it isn't it strongest point, but they have it.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel i should step in a defend my style, small circle is a very complete system! which involves groundwork, striking, pressure points, judo, selfdefence and many other things. just because it isnt tradtional doesnt mean it isnt as good. look at bjj in my oppinion the best ground art around, and look how he cope with the karate dude in that video.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XpOiSoN FrEeX, I didnt say that Small Circle was'nt a complete system. I just said it was not traditional. Sorry if you thought that.
Also I would hope that the Karate guy in that tape was not the best that Shotokan had to offer. He was not so good. I am sure that there are better. So its not really a measure of Shotokan.

Venezolano, I only know a little about BJJ, but from what I have seen in clubs and in The essence of BJJ by Machado, there is not alot of stand up.

Take Care.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i got the wrong end of the stick. small circle jujitsu is a very good style, and if you ever get a chance i would recommend that you go to a class/seminar.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem XpOiSoN FrEeX, I can see that it could be taken that way.

Actually I was just looking at a Small Circle JJ book. I might get it. Unforunately around where I live, the styles are rather limited. But I think I would enjoy a class.

take Care.

Venezolano
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai

In your first post, you said that BJJ doesn't have stand up game, that's why i said you were wrong.

In effect, it does have stand up game, but it's most oriented to ground fighting, like you said in your second post.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Venezolano so I did.

But I was merely pointing out that it is "less" complete, in that its stand up "game" as you put it, is less than that of karate. So they would compliment eachother. If you catch my drift.

Take Care.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: