Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

TJA
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Aikijutsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Different Systems of Ninjitsu Reply with quote

What are the known systems of Ninjitsu.

I'm aware of the Togukare system (excuse the spelling) of Masaaki Hatsumi which has the Bujikan dojos world wide.

I've seen and heard of others such as the Koga - ryu ninjitsu, and Shoto Tanemura who seems to be within ninjitsu.

any thoughts

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masaaki Hatsumi founded the Bujinkan Dojo, which has a curriculum of nine bujutsu ryu-ha. Three of these ryu-ha are ninjutsu styles, the rest are koryu jujutsu ryu-ha. Manaka founded the Jinenkan Dojo after studying under Hatsumi. Tanemura founded the Genbukan Dojo after studying under Hatsumi too.

There are several Koga ninjutsu teachers, but none have ever been able to prove any lineage to the real Koga ninja, and usually the styles don't even look like anything that any other medieval Japanese fighting arts look like, most look like kungfu or karate. And most of the best known Koga teachers have been ridiculed at because of their claims. I'm not saying names here, but some teachers were known as tournament karate champs, then they suddenly started teaching ninjutsu out of the blue and that kind of things. If you are interested in some Koga style, my suggestion is to first do a search for the instructor on the net, you may find results of some investigations done by other people. If you don't find anything that troubles you, then go try it out. There are some things to know about Koga ryu: usually it is accepted (some doubt it) that the last head of the Koga ninjutsu was Seiko Fujita. Also, the Koga was a bunch of 53 styles, any real Koga instructor should know the names of those styles, but usually they have no idea.

There are also some other real authentic bujutsu styles that have some ninja aspects in them. For example, the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto ryu has a shinobijutsu component, but it was mostly developed to battle against the real ninjas, so it is more of an "anti-ninja" art, but has some resemblance to the real ninja arts.

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoto tanemura used to be my grandmaster, he created the genbukan style and federation of ninjutsu

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY informative post Kirves!
I guess that if you want to do Ninjutsu, you better stick with the Togakure ryu Bujinkan organization.
Its the only Legit organization i've heard about.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Why was this post put into "karate" forum? Ninjutsu doesn't even come from the same country as karate...

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Kirves where do you think ninjitus comes from if not Japan?

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaiFightsMS wrote:
Oh Kirves where do you think ninjitus comes from if not Japan?

Where do you think karate came from? Okay, Okinawa is nowadays part of Japan, but it didn't use to be when the ninjas were developing their systems. Karate and ninjutsu have very little in common. Ninjutsu and jujutsu have quite a lot in common as the unarmed methods of the ninja were practically just a distinct styles of jujutsu (to make it a bit too simplified).

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninjitusu also includes strikes, weapons work, stealth, poisons and other aspects that don't fit neatly under a grappling umbrella either.

Ninjitsu is in the Japanese/Okinawan forum based on the location of it's origin. It could just as easily be called a weapons art as a grappling are or a striking art. To keep matters simple for KF purpose classifying it with the arts from it's country of origin falls most consistently with how other arts are placed in their forums.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best under general... but any how.....

Bujinkan is really the only legit Ninjutsu style. Mainly people has jumped onto the "American Ninja" series and tried to make more money on selling thier sport Karate as Ninjutsu.

Its an amazing style IF you can find yourself a good teacher.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaiFightsMS wrote:
Ninjitusu also includes strikes, weapons work, stealth, poisons and other aspects that don't fit neatly under a grappling umbrella either.

Yes, it doesn't go well under any such category, but most people wouldn't be searching for ninjutsu info from a karate-specific forum any day... I would likely think of three options for better placement of this thread:

1. Generic forum; any non-specific style discussions

2. Combative Arts forum; ninjutsu is highly diverse and very combative

3. Jujutsu/Grappling forum; Basically, the X-kan mainly teach a curriculum of six jujutsu styles with some ninjutsu aspects thrown in.

Just my humble opinion.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: