Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: different wing chun Reply with quote

just wondering

what kinda wing chun does everyone out there do?

Vyvial
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Moy Yat Ving Tsun Kung Fu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure Yip Man Ving Tsun as taught with the Moy Yat Method of instruction.

Ving Tsun is limitless in it's application.

American Ving Tsun Kung Fu Academy
http://www.moyyat.net

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be more specific?

as you know, yip man taught each student differently.
then there's the point that a lot of the teaching was done by his senior students who also teach differently. just interested in what variations there exisit in the yip man branch.

on another note.
i know a lot of us have probably done a lot of research to see what the other wing chun styles are like.

was kinda hoping that there might be a yuen kay san wing chun dude here to talk hands with.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Vyvial
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of my opinions about other wing chuns, good and bad... I have trained in multiple wing chun sytems and have played hands and sparred with many others. These are my opinions and a chat room will not change them so please do not get upset and try to argue, because i won't answer. If I insult your system I'm sorry and I could be judging individual instructors instead of the grandmaster's but whataver...

Wong Shun Leung added fighting elements and their forms look very sloppy but they play with good energy and have good chi sau elements. Very Legit.

Augustine Fong has good energy and looks "cool" but all the forms are very modified. They have three person chi sau? Also their cross arm sparring program is pretty good.

WT is very precise with good science but lacks good energy. They has very weak Chi Sau since more time is spent on Lat Sau (Lose Hand) training and they have a poor concept of centerline (ie tan sau on shoulder line instead of center). Strong stance until they have to move it. I've only touched hands with american Wt guys and I hear that they are very poor when compared to their Euro counterparts. It's their ego that turns me off.

Duncan Leung guys have good energy and good hands but a weak stance.

William Cheung.... well. I can't even recognize what is going on there as wing chun. Very weak stance and they play with the hands instead of using direct Faan Sau. How did William Cheung, who actually spent very litle time with Yip man, get the super secret system of wing chun that no one knows about? Wong Shun Leung who spent about 17 years with Yip man, Moy Yat who spent about 15 years with Yip man and even his two own sons Chun and Ching were not good enough to even have this mentioned?

Lo Man Kam has very good Wing Chun with good fighting ability. Police Kung Fu is pretty good too.

Ip Ching has solid wing chun but I haven't touched hands with many of these students. Similar to Moy yat.

Ip Chun has solid wing chun similar to Moy yat but relys on feints and tricks in Chi Sao as opposed to position and tsui ma.

Hawkins Cheung has pretty good students. Nothing too different that I have noticed.

YKS's side body wing chun is just weird, but I haven't touched hands with them so who knows.

Tsui Seung Tin has very good kung fu students but the "mind energy" tai chi thing is kinda off.

I won't tell you my system's weeknesses. All I will say is that Sigung Moy Yat taught exactly what he learned from Yip Man. There is no such thing as "true" wing chun but Moy Yat kung fu has no modifications or additions so I think it is pretty close to the source.

Ving Tsun is limitless in it's application.

American Ving Tsun Kung Fu Academy

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y'know

we have the signature... in chinese...

Vyvial
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's funny, i didn't notice that we had the same signature.

pvwingchun
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyvial

Very interesting. do you have any experience with the Hung Fa yi Wing Chun folks. There style is very similar to William Cheungs Traditional Wing Chun.

As for me I am of the Ip Ching lineage.

I recently had the opprotunity to spend an evening with some students of Augustine Fong and Randy William's, while there were similarities there were also differences throughout in the forms and the way the energy was used.

How about you from the ground up. What is your lineage and what do you see as your particular differences.

Vyvial
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with Hung Fa Yi.

Some things that set us apart:

My school focuses on proper position and stance over techniques. We also have a constant pressure/forward energy that is alsways moving. We create our openings with tsui ma in Chi Sau and are very mobile in fighting situations. No matter what position or angle our horse stance takes we try to keep it rooted, by not comimg out of our horse when we step or by disengaging our hips. A precise tan sau combined with tsui ma will up-root an opponent and take center without resorting to some trick in order to take them off line. We follow the Kuen Kuit very closely and we make the Ving Tsun prove itself. We do not treat Chi Sau like sparring because that was not how it was done at Yip man's school. Chi Sau doesn't teach us fighting techniques, it's a conversation of hands about what happenes when someone enters your space. We will use cross arm sparring and long distance Chi Sau (full contact sparring) in order to train fighting attributes such as entry techniques and realistic fighting energy.

This site has our lineage info

kle1n
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do sifu yie wing chun. he is quite famous as i heard. he even comes over to china from germany to teach the chinese wing chun. he is chinese himself. he is my instructor and seems to have a top reputation. u guys heard of him?

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you say ip ching, from ron heimberger?

i trained for about six months with one of sifu heimberger's students in london a couple of years ago. showed me a new perspective on how to do chi sau. very "forceful" and very different to my usual "light touch" chi sau...

excellent stuff.

all the best in your training.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: