Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Do you have any karate routines/rituals? Reply with quote

For the past few months, I’ve been very consistent with a daily practice. The daily practice consists only of specific goals that I have or things that I want to work on, depending on how much time I have. My focus has been on balance, mobility (particularly in the hips), and kihon (focus on kicking). Miraculously, keeping up with this routine has done wonders for my mental health. No matter what happens on a given day, if I can manage to carve out at least a little time for my routine, I’m going to feel much better. And the benefits are clear as day in my TSD and Shorin Ryu curriculums.

The most important part, I feel, is the consistency. If I have to choose between no routine or just 5 minutes of the routine, then I’ll take what I can get and use those 5 minutes as best I can.

I’ll post more details on my routine below in case you’re interested. Can anyone relate to this post? Do you have any karate focused routines that you’d like to share?

- full body basic mobility (knee circles, hip circles, arm circles, neck circles, etc)
- calisthenics (jumping jacks, squats, lunges, sit-ups, push-ups, yoga push-ups, etc - 30 reps each)
- dynamic stretching (frankensteins/leg swings at different angles,
- basics in place or up and down the floor, sometimes balancing on one leg to work that balance even more (All major blocks, punches, kicks, etc)
- brief static stretching (full body)

If I’m short on time, I’ll do a simpler version of what’s listed above just to maintain my consistency.
If I have more time, I’ll usually run through all my kata from TSD and Shorin Ryu (lots of fun), then practice my one steps and other various fighting techniques until I’m tired (in the air, on a heavy bag, with a partner, etc.)

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two routines; one I will do throughout the day that helps with my Mobility then the other is my technical approach.

Mobility is to "wake up" my body and get it moving, along with stretching out any tired/sore/inactive muscle.

Then the technical is me focusing on each biomechial action of the technique

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:01 am    Post subject: My daily routine Reply with quote

I start each day with waking up, peeking out my eyelids to check and then ..... "My God ! I am STILL alive ! What a miraculous day !

Then I might do some kata .

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my motto is ”Not a day without a kata”

I start and finish every day with the first, short kata I learned, ”Go ho no uke”. Tried to switch daily kata to Naifanchi shodan, but realized the twisting motion without any warm-up at all wasn’t optimal for my lower back. I don’t do any kata fast, with full power and deep stances without warming up first

During the day I try to find time to do a very quick ”3-block, 3-block-block-punch and 3-punch”, one on each side

Preferably I find some time after work to do the same 3-3-3 as above, twice on each side and also a combo of mae geri/mawashi geri opposite side/yoko geri opposite side, twice on each side. I also do Go ho no uke twice then as well.

This is all outside of the regular weekly karate training sessions.

I totally agree that consistency is key, even if I only have time for the daily kata I never skip it. It reminds me of how important karate is to me, and helps me keep contact with the art every single day. (have the same motto for my drawing practice, ”Not a day without a line” but that’s another topic, same philosophy).

Thanks for sharing your routine

Not a day without a kata

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My routines/rituals?

As boring as it might sound, mine is to train one way or another each day, except on Sunday's. I do have to admit, I do love Miick 11's post.

Well, that's it.

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been ding all sorts of stuff with kata at training . Instigated by me as 'instructor' has been away a lot lately .

The guys get bored and so do I . Instructor doesnt seem to , just happy to do kata the same way over and over again with the same old, stale , near 'mythological ' bunkai / applications .

So several things are done now ;

A standard type of formal bunkai .... still , 'rigid and robot like' - like a ritual , or a tea ceremony .

A more dynamic version where the other tries counters against the bunkai .

A version where its more dynamic, or 'real' where both move around and 'spa' .

Or this ; pick a kata , pick 3 moves , 'spar' tying to use mostly those moves or bunkai (other techniques allowed to 'mix it up a bit' but we concentrate on a few specifics, examine them , gauge their effectiveness, etc .

'Match speed ' - doing the above but at slower speeds and each going to same speed as the other ( 'Instructor simply can not do this ... he HAS TO speed up ) - its great for timing, finding gaps, examining movements etc .

Along with this we try to react and follow through eg ; at times, even if you are in slow motion mode , you can see an opportunity to deliver a perfect technique or counter. The other should go with it, eg. a strong strike to the side of the head, does not stop before contact, but becasue its slow, it pushes the others head, neck ad their body follows into a specific shape , then you work on that shape . This revealed that some where, even in slow mo, well out of proper range .... too much sparring without striking , just 'flicking' techniques a couple of inches away from target .

Last week, these games revealed ; the benefit of 'cross step in, slap down a guard and deliver a vertical fist. And the reason why we often see in forms like Wu-shu , a spearman does a one-handed thrust up on one leg .... my opponent ( with a bo) had backed off out of rage (so he thought ) ... that raised rear leg , in concert with an angled down from high position , one handed thrust , gains about 1 metre ..... got him right through the heart when he thought he was safe ! ( rubber tip of course )

ryanryu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m in the same boat with scohen, that feeling of consistency is really powerful.

I’ve changed the specific morning routine over time, usually a mix of light bodyweight exercises and gentle stretching. It was really a lifesaver when I was trapped in my apartment during the early COVID lockdowns and going stir-crazy. At least I could start my day with some calm. I continue to refer to this practice as my “daily constitutional” because it makes me chuckle.

During training, I almost always begin with Sanchin and end with Tensho. I think that’s a fairly common Goju-ryu practice, although I’ve trained in dojo that save Sanchin for the end of a session.

Lastly, another ritual I’ve started in the past few years is New Year’s Day training. I’ll light a few candles in the dojo and go through every Goju-ryu kata as a way to kick off a new year of training. I think the candles make it seem more like a 'ritual' and not just another practice session. But I've really enjoyed setting aside that time to refocus and put some intention into the practice. It’s a great way to start the year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: