Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shotokan-ste
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: shotokan karate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: do you tell people that you do martial arts Reply with quote

i was catching up with an old friend of mine he studied wing chun many years ago,anyway i was telling him about my last year learning shotokan karate,and it came you that he says that it isnt the way to tell people that you learn a martial art and that you should keep it hidden from people,what do you guys and girls think(ps i dont mean telling people in a boastful way either)
ok 2nd dilema related somewhat to the first question im due to go to a fancy dress party in september and while searching for an outfit ive seen a really nice black ninja outfit from blitz(its on their website) £30 is amazing value for something that looks so good,i dont what people to think im showing off by wearning a ninja suit because i do karate,what are your thoughts,i think im worrying over niothing

StrangeBacon
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shinkido-Tai Karate, Aikido, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont tell certain people, like i'll try to explain away alot of my bruises, mainly because people give me weird looks thinking i get enjoyment out of being hurt, to a certain extent i do, but because im always improving because of it, i see it as character building and a nessessary thing in martial arts.

I'll tell friends and people who bring it up in conversation since they seem genuinely interested but usually back off alot of the in depth details and save those for closer friends and family

Regarding the ninja costume, go for it i'd have jumped at the chance to go to a fancy dress as a ninja, best i could do was a pirate when i was 16

"Seek peace in every moment, yet be prepared to defend your very being"

"Does the river dwell on how long it will take to become the ocean..." - Sensei Bruce Payne

www.shinkido.co.uk

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes tell people, mostly my friend, because I try to make them start training karate too. I'd be nice to have all my friends do karate:) I tell them it's fun, and they can make new friends there, but as for now, no one got recruited xD

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to keep my training to myself and close friends but injuries forced me to provide an explanation to other friends and co-workers.

After i started to talk about training I noticed that most people has zero interest in discussing MAs.

StrangeBacon
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shinkido-Tai Karate, Aikido, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
......I noticed that most people has zero interest in discussing MAs

Haha aint that the truth

"Seek peace in every moment, yet be prepared to defend your very being"

"Does the river dwell on how long it will take to become the ocean..." - Sensei Bruce Payne

www.shinkido.co.uk

Rateh
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been very open about my training. When people ask what are you doing over the weekend, etc, I just tell them. And I tend to practice at work when I think I'm alone and sometimes people catch me. :p

Also, it impacts my work schedule. People like to know why I need Saturday off (for a test). Or why I can't work past 2:00 on Tuesdays and Thursdays (because I teach those days). Etc...

Now that I've started a business teaching martial arts (haven't started a school, I just teach at various locations) I want people to know that I train, and that I teach. The more people that know, the more students I will get.

Jeffrey
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevinyrral wrote:
I sometimes tell people, mostly my friend, because I try to make them start training karate too. I'd be nice to have all my friends do karate:) I tell them it's fun, and they can make new friends there, but as for now, no one got recruited xD

I have recruited a few friends. A couple didn't make it in the first 3 months and one just got his green belt last night. I will have one more of my friends join in the fall. I'm very careful when recruiting friends. MA is not for everyone. Some people have just watched to many movies and don't realize how much work it real is.

Soheir
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell if it has been asked. Rather not, because a lot of people seem to have a certain image about karate. I think they have no idea what it's all about .
That's why I feel like it's almost impossible to explane someone the art right, even if they really are interested .
“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my friends know I train. Of course, all my friends also train I never told anyone who didn't specifically ask about it. However, it's pretty much the only hobby I have, and I've done it for 25 years. So when I'm talking to people about what I do for fun...it usually comes up.

Now that I'm starting my own school, I tell people alot more. Afterall, word of mouth is the fastest way to let people know about the school.

brickshooter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrangeBacon wrote:
Quote:
......I noticed that most people has zero interest in discussing MAs

Haha aint that the truth

He's not doing it right.

He needs to re-describe the MA as "cardio-kickbox" or "authentic Tai-bo."

I get a ton of interest, particularly from women when I tell them that my Shotokan-cardio-kickbox really works my thighs and buttocks. And what's awesome is that I don't have to feel self-conscious because my loose-fitting white cotton-canvas sweats are covering my buttocks when I work out.

Women actually fine me very sensitive for a muscular guy after I tell them I do MA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: