Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I was horribly "anti-tkd" until, at the invitation of a friend from Basic Training, whom I ran into here at UMBC about three years ago (whom I hadn't seen in years!) I agreed to observe a practice session here at the Uni club. I went in prepared to diplomatically say "very nice" and then return to Shotokan land. I stayed because of teh the instructor, who is a veteran of the ARVN, led recon teams, etc... and it is very obvious from observing his technique that his TKD is about defence. One typical "Mr. Pham-ism," stated about a beginner (then) young lady who was displaying incredicble effort: "She kill people, easy." Well, sh'es gotten even better with two years of training! She'll test for 3d gup this december, and, with work, will hopfully be 1st dan in a couple of years!
Unfortuanately, this emphasis on effective technique is quite unpopular with the numerous 17-18 y.o. "I'm a black belt" crowd that shows up at the beginning of each term. Most of them leave after trying a class. I don't think that they haev ever had techniques corrected in their lives! These are the sorts who get into punch-ups in clubs on weekends, and wonder why they wake up in intensive care!
However, in addition to the emphasis on combative ability, emphasis is also placed upon th concept that TKD is a method of SELF DEFENCE (caps intended), not self offence. Much emphasis is placed on forms and basics. Not to "look good", but to be able to repeat technique when neccesary. The "modern" approach to "retain what is useful" is falacious in the extreme. I doubt that soemone with only ten, fifteen, even twenty years of practice has anyclue about the extent of what is "useful." I think that using atraditional curriculum, where effective defensive ability is one or two years away from the beginner, is a grand idea; by the time the student has developed any ability, he or she will have had time to haev developed some discretion about using the art. As the saynig goes: A monkey can be taught to fight, but human intelligence is needed to ascertain when to fight.
(descending from soapbox )

taebot
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: tkd, kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the doorman at a club. In not one encounter did I drop someone with a "TKD" technique, kicking or otherwise. Instinct takes over and the reverse-punch/right cross comes out...

I was sparring at one of my instructors' schools and was being bum-rushed by a very inexperienced, but enthusiastic traditional karate stylist (name withheld to not let one idiot reflect upon a whole system ). By the third pass, I had him timed and dropped him with a jump-spin crescent kick.

When he got up, he he asked what happened. I told him and he said he'd never ever seen such a thing before. I pointed out that technically, he still hadn't SEEN it !

So for now, that's my favorite TKD kick to be used in whatever situation it gets used in.

TKDMASTER
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tkd,jujitsu,kung fu,judo,little akidio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well taebot I dont know about the jump spinning crescent kick but i do know about tkd effectiveness on the street. To say forms and stuff wont help is ludicris. I have heard mant mt guys say we do to many forms and stuff. Forms develop strenth,balance and good reflexes.You may never use the high block like u practice in class,but u will use it. Your reflexes are one of the most important things in a real fight.If you can block and punch at the same time then u will not get in trouble with a street thug. But allways be careful,they care nothing about fairness at all. Even if somebody is just robbing me,I will go for throat,groin,knees and if you let me have your throat. I will snap it as fast as i can. Dont take it easy for just one second on the streets cause if your just holding them in a choke hold they could pull a knife and so much for being knice. Dont let them get away cause most of them carries guns. Im not talking about killing a guy over a basketball game(still be carefull,watch out for knives) But on the streets this is just my opinion why many martial artist lose, they dont go into as if this could be your last fight. Still stay calm dont let anger take over,cause thats where mistakes come from. Well, this is my two cents worth.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tihnk i could use my TKD "skills" in real life, it has helped me get my hips into my punches/kicks more. its helped me get more power. i think it would be useful to me on the street.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: