Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Lonesome
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Dojo and Suggestions Reply with quote

Hi everone!

I've been looking at these forums for a while, seeing everyone's suggestions and stuff, so I decided to finally post and try to get some advice. I've been looking around for places, and haven't found any that interest me and are relatively close. I can't go someplace that is too far away, due to transportation issues. I hope to also find a place that isn't too expensive or a mcdojo. I know these requests seem like a lot, but from what I've read, there are people teaching martial arts just because they love them and they love teaching. I live in Glendale, AZ, so if anyone knows of a good place around here, please let me know.

I was also wondering if anyone knows where to look for private lessons or lessons from people who don't have facilities. I've seen people say they've been taught by cops, or just people that live near them and don't have a facility, so they teach it in their garage. I've looked at the classifieds, but I didn't see anything and don't even know if I was looking in the right section.

I want to get into martial arts for a few reasons, but mostly self defense. It would be nice to get in better shape too.

I know that they are building a fitness gym (like an L.A. Fitness, not a boxing gym) down the street from me, and they are planning on having karate. Are these type of karate classes just workout classes, or do they actually teach real "martial arts" at gyms?

Thanks for the help!

telsun
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju-ryu, Ju-jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you taken a good look at the local clubs? Just popping your head round the door and taking a look for 10 minutes is not the way to decide whether an art is for you. If you haven't already actually give the club a go, you may change your mind.
You could try placing an advert in the classified asking for martial arts instruction. Be very careful though.
Sports Centres vary immensely in their karate tuition. They do tend to be the money spinner types but there are exceptions so you should not dismiss it until you have checked it out.

Lonesome
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem, there aren't many clubs near me. I'm still looking and calling places, but a couple that I've talked to don't seem to be true clubs. I'm still looking though. For me it's a turn off when the club won't tell you prices or even what arts they teach over the phone.

It's sort of frustrating too, because I look at some sites that list dojos around the Phoenix area, and places like Tempe seem to be full of clubs, but out here we don't have many at all! I'd love to have a Krav Maga or Jiu Jitsu place out here, but I haven't seen anything yet. I keep watching the gymnastics clubs to see if they maybe advertise some sort of karate because I've heard of teachers who rent out those types of places.

I plan on checking out the gym once it's open. Even if their karate class looks more like an aerobics session, I could always try kickboxing.

Thanks for the help!

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go ahead and pick one that seems most interesting to you and join that class. Then start going to seminars, tournaments, and other events. Get to know the martial arts community through involvement. It is amazing how much is out there sometimes, but it isn't allways easy to find them. But a lot of those who train on their own are involved in the local MA community just to feel connected and to find partners to work out with. That is the way it is with me. And some of us are allways looking for people that want to work and learn. So even if it isn't what you ultimately want to do, get started and get involved. Then, who knows? At the very least you'll start developing some skills so when you do find your life's commitment you won't be starting quite from zero.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there hello and welcome to the forums. Anyway, have you tried looking into a YMCA, or community rec center? Another place to look into would be a non-denominational church to see what is offered if any. A good friend of mine who is an instructor taught out of one of these church set ups. Lots of times the martial arts classes aren't advertised, rather it's done by word of mouth. Another idea is maybe ask around at your local police station to see if they have someone that they know of that teaches on the side. Can't hurt

Good luck on your search
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: