Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Ises
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Chito-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Dojo Events and other additional resources Reply with quote

Hi Guys. I was just elected "president" of my dojo. I thought what I would do is pop out a message to see what sort of things/ideas you guys might have to share with me in regards to what would be good for me to use to enhance our dojo.

What sort of things do you guys do at yours to make it more interesting and maybe even flexible for it's members. I'd really like to bring in visiting sensei's to demonstrate different styles but I'm not sure what the boundaries/guidelines are for this since there is competition between most dojos and we'd hate to lose members but I'd also like us to learn more about other styles and arts.

Does anyone have suggestions at all? I'd appreciate your sharing.

miguksaram
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Korean Martial Arts, Shorei-ryu, others

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a newsletter of upcoming events, people's b-day, self defense tip of the month or form tip of the month.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

President of your dojo? I've never heard of anything like that before. What about your instructor? He should be the one that makes decisions on visiting instructors and issues like that. Also, I'm just curious. If you do make a decision to bring in a visiting Sensei, where is the money going to come from to do this? Guys don't just step in to do seminars for nothing. I'm not berrating you. I'm really curious. If you explain more maybe I could suggest some other things.

miguksaram
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Sasori I believe the position is that of Dojo/Dojang manager. The Head instructor should in fact focus on curriculum, goals for the school and the student. People like Ises who are appointed school manager or in this case President, handles more of the tasks of making things happen to meet the goals.

Ises, I know of several good instructors we can discuss offline or here. Howvever, Sasori is right, it will not be for free. Most all who seminars have a set price. What system do you teach Ises?

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, our school is a college club, and the student elected officers DO run the club. The head instructor teaches, and offers advice, but ultimately is there because they want him there. It is in our club constitution, which was written by the head instructor when he founded the club.

Seminars can be very expensive when you go for the "big names." but if you can find another like minded instructor, you can do a little "give and take."

Find a club that does something completely different for example, and send your students to their instructor and yours to theirs for a class.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miguksaram wrote:
Actually Sasori I believe the position is that of Dojo/Dojang manager. The Head instructor should in fact focus on curriculum, goals for the school and the student. People like Ises who are appointed school manager or in this case President, handles more of the tasks of making things happen to meet the goals.

Does this mean that you get paid? I think that if you are helping organize and accomplish the goals of the school, then you should get paid. You are providing a valuable service to your instructor. This service is going to add value to the school's services. Your services could perhaps even generate new business. You deserve compensation.

miguksaram
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smr wrote:

Does this mean that you get paid? I think that if you are helping organize and accomplish the goals of the school, then you should get paid. You are providing a valuable service to your instructor. This service is going to add value to the school's services. Your services could perhaps even generate new business. You deserve compensation.

Actually some do get paid, or some get free lessons or fee equipment. It is somthing that should be agreed upon between the individuals. Sometimes people do it out of kindness in trying to help the school.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeze, what a bunch of capitalistic money mongers you guys are! lol Sorry, but can't a person be the head of something, just because they want to help out, and not for compensation? Especially something like a college club? My opinion I guess. No wonder I'm broke all the time! lol

Anyway, a few ideas for you.
1. A family night at the club. Pot luck, demonstrations, maybe get the family involved a bit with their kids/spouse, etc.
2. Unless you really want to bring in a big name instructor, ask your sensei if he/she is on friendly terms with another sensei nearby from another system and see if they will come in and do some things that you don't normally do in your class, but the other sensei does. I have given several seminars myself to TKD, Shotokan, Judo, Aikido and a "Freestyle" class. I always have a heck of a lot of fun in those!!!

Money was offered to me for most of these seminars, and all I charge was $5/person for a 2 hour (usually runs more like 3-4 hours) seminar, and only for those seminars that involved my travelling and having to stay overnight, or to cover gas money for a truck that gets 16mpg! lol

It usually ends up costing ME money to do those, but I don't mind (as long as it isn't to much!), because I was able to show interested people something about what we do that might be different from what they do.

Just an idea. Where in Canada are you? PM me if you'd rather not be specific on here.

battousai16
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Hwa Rang Do, Omulu Capoeira

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorinryu sensei, i like your signature
i also personally like you're family pot luck night thingy idea, our school does that too. it kinda brings people closer together and brings in a warmer environment, so it's not all blood, sweat, and tears. i second his idea
although evidently canada is a bit different from WI here, because i don't think you could find another sensei here who would out of the goodness of their heart and in the interest of the martial arts do an open seminar. you'd be better off finding a talented student, they're the ones, at least around here, who tend to be the nicer guys

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I find that interesting that other sensei in your area don't talk to one another and maybe share ideas (you don't have to agree, just talk). I try to meet every new instructor that comes into my area, introduce myself and give them a "Welcome to the neighborhood." sort of talk.

I can't say that I like every instructor in my immediate area, but I try to stay on good terms with them all.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: