Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Ever witness self defense? Reply with quote

For the sake of sharing, how many have ever seen another person use martial arts as a direct witness? If you have, were you able to tell to a reasonable degree from what martial art the techniques used by the defender came?

Here is mine to start. It happened in a large park in Tokyo, Japan. A very belligerent, possibly intoxicated and irate man was being aggressive with a few passers by. Luckily, nowhere near where our paths would have met, but close enough to everything unfold.

The disturbance quickly got the attention of a patrolman from the near by police booth. The angry man immediately started to argue with the officer who was doing his damnedest to calm him down and get him to stop being a nuisance or leave the park. The man just got angrier and in seconds began to shove the cop, but nosedived to the pavement as the policeman sidestepped and directed his attacker downwards using his own momentum. It was almost comical and this further enraged the man whose final bad judgment was to attempt to hit the cop with a haymaker punch. This was blocked/jammed and twisted down to the ground. Classic hard-style aikido is very likely, but perhaps other forms of jujutsu. The entire police force in Tokyo are well-known to have a minimum working knowledge of this and other martial arts. A few units even have a certain degree of proficiency as a prerequisite for rank promotions.

Journyman74
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: KARATE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have actually witnessed Aikdo used to submit a 5150 (large build Female) by a officer using a wrist lock. The 5150 totally collapsed and was at the officers mercy at the point he got a hold of the wrist and applied pressure, he had a pretty good lock with smooth application while having the most confident look lol. But as a Karateka..on that day, I became a believer of the effectiveness of Aikido(not that I ever doubted it before) These days I would just smirk at the generalized criticism of Aikido in the main stream.

Aikido WORKS!

mjh1969
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1982, I was about 12 years old and I was in the game room playing centipede at the time. A 13-14 kid who I seen from around the neighborhood in Brooklyn (East Flatbush) New York was being bullied by 3 dudes. He was short and minding his own business. I saw a reverse punch, round kick to the head, hook kick to the other guys head and another reverse punch to the face and the fight was over and the three guys were down on the ground. Everything happened quickly but that moment was etched in my head forever. I started karate lessons a few months after that. From my knowledge of martial arts, he was doing karate.

This left an impression on me forever and I have loved martial arts ever since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: