Add KarateForums.com
Test the New KarateForums.com! (KF Turns 23)
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pass kids along fairly quickly in the first few belts. We actually have two belts between white and yellow that aren't "real" Isshinryu ranks (they don't learn their first Isshinryu kata until yellow)-- they're just to get the kids excited and motivated from the start because too many kids were dropping out due to the time it took to get that first belt (look up the first Isshinryu kata [Seisan] when you get a chance. It's not a beginner kata). At those ranks we tend to keep the kids together. We start them in groups and the groups rank together until around yellow. Even if one's really lagging behind the others, we'll give them the belts to keep them motivated and keep their confidence up. Everyone learns at a different pace. My instructor views the kyu ranks as extremely flexible and more of a sign of individual achievement than steps in a set curriculum (although we do have a general guideline for each rank). What he expects of one kid at blue belt isn't necessarily what he expects of another. According to his way of thinking and the way we rank within our school, everything is mostly arbitrary up until shodan, which the vast, vast majority never reach anyway, and so the kyu ranking system is just a tool to help each individual student grow and progress to their best of their ability in the time they're with us.

So I guess I'm ok with an "everybody passes until red belt" system. Red belt (what would be our brown belt) is the time they're preparing for their shodan test-- the point where set standards and expectations manifest in our our program-- and so is the point they'd be required to start meeting more universal goals rather than individual goals.

devil dog
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu, Goju Ryu, Kobudo Judo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why they would be asked to test unless they are deemed ready.
We do not schedule a student for testing unless we know that they are ready. If most or if all of the students pass that is most likely because the instructor makes sure they are ready to test.
I do not understand testing on a set schedule where everyone is automatically scheduled to test. I could imagine the falure rate would be high.
Not all students progress at the same rate so it stands to reason that a few students would not be ready and therefore would not pass the test for the next rank if scheduled with everyone else.
Personally I evaluate every student before they are scheduled to test in the upcoming test cycle. If they are not ready they will not be scheduled.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm..

Thinking back over four main styles and so different clubs I have spent most time with in my life, most first and possibly second gradings are passed by the children every-time!
A bit of a talking to about this or that and a feeling of well done but work harder impressed upon them for the next time.
The idea generally stated by each 'club' is too build confidence, get them used to the environment and get them used to the demands of the grading.

Adults tend to get an easy life for the first grade, and a larger step up to grading demands come the second grading.
Same reasoning given, same mind games about more effort etc given!

However, one of these clubs (was one I spent the least time with) was a shock as it became apparent to me that adults and children that graded were passed, when well ability was lacking, shall we say.
It seemed to me there was some inter-club rivalry about BB count and this club seemed to want to win that contest.

I see no fault in allowing most candidates pass the first or second grading so long as they is a clear attempt to do well. If the candidate thinks they can walk in, scratch there belly and walk about doing moves.... well they do the whole thing like everyone else and at the end are failed.
The final test being there mental state, they come back and try harder next time they don't come back, they don't have the mental strength.

Come third and fourth, now its game time now its step up or step away!

The instructor should work with them, and then talk to them as they work towards the test date, keep it open and honest. If they are not up to it press them for more, if the response is not enough, keep the honesty and hold them back until the next time. If they leave then the club wins, the person clearly doesn't have the right mind set for MA or the club, if they return when they are senior grade they will be thankful to you for your attention and patients.

In all that time the winners are them and the club.

Gradings to me are truly a win win situation for all involved, they should be taken seriously by everyone!

Gradings should be a training tool an aid to get the best form the student as well as yourslef, not a stick to bully or polish a seniors ego, if that is so then the issue is not the student!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: