Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CredoTe wrote:
My nidan

Wait until your Godan! You'll wish you were a Shodan, again!! I did, wish, that is.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you have an insanely hard grading for your godan sensei8?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
did you have an insanely hard grading for your godan sensei8?

Oh yeah!! Hardest grading that I ever had. I failed it twice. Godan is a pinnacle test for a karateka. How so? It's the Master level. Therefore, that grading puts one through the paces even more so than any other preceding ranks. When I did pass finally, I barely passed. I was exhausted; I went through a lot of emotional changes when I failed it the first time, as well as when I finally passed it the second time around. It drained me!!

Were the ranks after Godan hard? Yes, but not as grueling as Godan for some reason. However, Greg, our Kancho, said that his Nanadan testing cycle nearly killed him emotionally as well as mentally: Greg passed it the first time out!!

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
CredoTe wrote:
My nidan

Wait until your Godan! You'll wish you were a Shodan, again!! I did, wish, that is.

The only reason I didn't say my Sandan is because my two instructors (CI & Ti) graded me in secret over several weeks. So, I didn't perform an excruciating performance test for Sandan in the "traditional" sense of a test. I think my Yondan test in a couple of years will make up for it, though. I don't even want to think of my Godan test...

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CredoTe wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
CredoTe wrote:
My nidan

The only reason I didn't say my Sandan is because my two instructors (CI & Ti) graded me in secret over several weeks. So, I didn't perform an excruciating performance test for Sandan in the "traditional" sense of a test. I think my Yondan test in a couple of years will make up for it, though. I don't even want to think of my Godan test...

The beauty about any testing cycle, not just Godan, is that no test is the same, and not all styles of the MA test in the same manner. Some are very hard, while others are easier; that, the level of said test, also varies on the individual as well.

Greg said his Nanadan was his hardest, but for me, it was a walk in the park. Different impressions; same test! I've learned this along time ago, and I've mentioned it here many times...don't worry about any testing cycle because the test will take care of itself. Either you'll pass or you'll fail; do your best, and what happens, happens. It's natural to worry, but once you learn the trick of letting the cycle take care of itself, well, it'll be one less thing to worry about. Beside, you can't control the outcome of said test because you're Sensei/instructor is in charge of that.

Do your best!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: