Add KarateForums.com
Let's Help sensei8 in His Time of Need
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tatsujin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Feedback Needed! New patch/logo design (v2.5 posted) Reply with quote

An old student of mine recently convinced me that I should do some updating of things, create a website, get a new patch/logo, etc. Not sure about it, but I had some time on my hands.

I would like to get the feedback from folks here (be as honest as you'd like, I have thick skin). I didn't know where to post this...so I thought that since I am a "karate guy", I would put it here.

Have a look and let me know.

Thank you.

Last edited by tatsujin on Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

tatsujin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is a work in progress...but for those of you that are like me and you are a "visual" person, then here is a potential look on the website itself...

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kankoko No Ryu, shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Website looks good and professional, I like the overall layout.

your patch/logo also looks neat and professionally done, I don't often see patches that shape, so to me that stands out in a good way.

Well done for updating things, it can be good to changed things up every now and then, I find it gives me a little more motivation after updating things like that.

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they both look good. My only input would be that the brushed romanji font for the full name of your dojo may be hard for some people to read--I've used similar fonts on content, before, and received that complaint a few times.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker, Adrian Rivera
Karate Obsession | Arizona Practical Karate

tatsujin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
I think they both look good. My only input would be that the brushed romanji font for the full name of your dojo may be hard for some people to read--I've used similar fonts on content, before, and received that complaint a few times.

Point well taken and thank you for it. To be honest though, I am not planning on many people seeing the website...lol! More of a "passion project". A former student of mine thinks that it is worth something to for me to post up some of my ramblings there. Personally, I think he is just worried about me being housebound for 2 years now! HA!

Thank you again.

tatsujin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:
The Website looks good and professional, I like the overall layout.
your patch/logo also looks neat and professionally done, I don't often see patches that shape, so to me that stands out in a good way.

There is alot of symbolism in the patch design and I have someone awesome working with me on the design as I can't draw a straight line with two rulers! HA!

It is a work in progress and we are just now getting into round 2 of revisions. They gave me 11 to start with, so it has been fun.

I'll post up the next revision if you folks don't mind to get more feedback.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments.

ps - My thanks also to whomever it was that moved my post here. I figured originally when I posted it that I had done so in the wrong area. This area should have jumped out at me I suppose.

tatsujin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the following is what I am calling v2.5. For some reason, the background on this visually appeals to me and I think it works well for the website as a "logo". The patch would not include it.

I would be interested in your thoughts on this.

Also, the diamonds you so around the outside edge are throwing me off currently (visually). I have asked my graphics person to change it such that the outside diamonds are light (white) and the inside set are dark (red).

Thoughts on that? Currently, it just seems off balance...

ramymensa
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. First logo is better, make sure it can scale nicely on small items (if you want to print it on a pen for instance or a mug) and also big stuff. Logos should be simple, easy to re-trace from memory.

2. The logo on the website should be placed in the top left corner. This is where poeple will expect it to be. move privacy policy and any other secondary pages into the footer, keep about us, classes, testimonials contact etc. (whatever is of importance) in the menu above. It's a small website, no need for 2 menus in the header. People use mobile devices, it's annoying to them to have to wade through 2 menus.

3. Get the designer to use a simple Wordpress theme (Sinatra and Astra). Any of these is free and exceptionally easy to use. No need for extensive design and wireframing, they're doing a tremendous job by themselves.

Example of site done with Sinatra: https://seoauditpros.com/, example of website done in Astra: https://worldshotokankarate.com/ (still under work, but you can get an idea of how versatile the themes are.

I've done web design for 20 years, in the past months I moved to these themes, as they are always updated (so you don't worry about new php versions on the server etc.) and you can easily style them. I don't use visual builders, only the native Wordpress Gutenberg block system.

I do assume you are using Wordpress (and recommend you do it).

Let me know if you would like more ideas, I do hope it helps

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a patch, what size do you have in mind? Our Shindokan shield is 4-inch; not to small, not too big. My avatar here at KF IS the Shindokan Shield. I do like your design overall. The diamonds play tricks with my eyes, whereas, if the diamonds on the east were switched, were the solid red and the open were switched. Perhaps that's the OCD in me.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-robert-mitcham-fight-cancer

tatsujin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the feedback I got from everyone and owe a couple of you a more detailed response (later)...

Looks like for the website logo, I am going with this:

And for the patch, which has alot of symbolism to it (happy to discuss if anyone is interested), this:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: