Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that Kali is one of the more extensive weapon arts out there because they train in every type of weapon imagineable and some that a person may not have thought of. Traditionally the FMA teaches the use of 2 sticks first, then they move onto long and short, 1 stick, 1 knive, 2 knives and more. Sticks are actually teaching sword work. They also have throwing weapons, missle weapons and flexible weapons (nunchaku, sashes, belts and sarong). It's great learning how to use your own clothing as a weapon. Polearms are covered, flails and pretty much any other weapon is covered in this system.
The hard part is finding an instructor that is adept at all 12 parts of kali.
In FMA the empty hands are taught after weapons are learned, mainly because of culture. In the filipinnes people carry knives everywhere. Also, they figure that if you lose your weapon, then you are probably dead-meat anyway.

And that's about the art...

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filipinno martial arts train in weapons extensively. The variety of weapons is just as wide as the Chinese arsenal, if not wider. One thing I learned is that if you learn the fundamentals of one weapon, than you've learned the fundamentals of 80% of weapons. This is what makes Kali a very strong system. They teach so much in so little time.

Pangamut
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I've thoroughly enjoyed studying Indonesian/Filipino styles. Especially the empty hand curriculums.

I do disagree about the hardest part you mentioned (an instructor versed in the 12 areas). For me the hardest part is finding instructors period (it's a geographic thing).

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome PANGAMUT to this forum......

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, where are you at, Pang? Maybe someone here can help you out.

Pangamut
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for about 2 years. Long enough to weed out the wanna-be instructors. (I've done it long enough to be able to tell if they know something useful to me)

I did find one instructor close by but, because of time constraints on both ends, it just never panned out. Nobody's fault really just very conflicting schedules.

The next closest experienced instructor I've found is about 3 1/2 hours away (Marc McFann - being an Inosanto student you might have heard of him).

Tis a long drive and I haven't discussed classes with his school yet but right now it's my only possibility.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to learn Filipino styles weapons.. but as usual, I don't have intructors around to teach me.. So i guess i have to get a couple of good ol' books and videos when can afford them. lol
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: