Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Zephyris
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Filling a Heavy Boxing Bag Reply with quote

hi i am interested in buying a 200lb punching bag but i am uncertain as to how to fill it. I know sand and rags are used but i dont know the exact process. I heard some people use garbage bags to wrap the sand is that true? thanks for your help

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling a Heavy Boxing Bag Reply with quote

Zephyris wrote:
hi i am interested in buying a 200lb punching bag but i am uncertain as to how to fill it. I know sand and rags are used but i dont know the exact process. I heard some people use garbage bags to wrap the sand is that true? thanks for your help

Personally, I wouldn't use sand because it will sink to the bottom and become rock hard eventually. I've always bought unfilled bags myself, and filled them with clean rags. You can usually get good, clean rags for free...or a minimal cost..at the local Salvation Army or other thrift store in your area. Make sure they're clean, or you're going to end up with a real smelly bad down the road! You can wash them yourself of course, just make sure they are totally dry before you put them in the bag or they will mildew.

Also, go through the rags before you stuff them in the bag and remove any buttons, zippers or anything else that can rub against the bag material, as this will eventually rub a hole in your bag. As you kick/punch the bag, the rahgs will start to settle, and you will need to add more rags to the top of the bag. Eventually, the bag will be quite compacted and hard. If it's to hard for what you're doing, all you have to do is dump the contents of the bag on the fkloor...and start all over again repacking it.

Liek I said...I'd pass on the sand. You don't need it, and are much more likely of making a mess with it.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also heavy bags that can be filled with water. Although they are a bit softer, they are much easier to fill.

Shane
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Combative Arts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get ahold of a lot of material, rages shirts even sweat pant material can work, just dont go with anything as rough as jean material and cut it into strips then start packing your bag using something like a baseball bat to help pack it. Its going to take a lot of material to fully fill the bag so make sure you start saving it now. I have a few people currently saving all of their left over material from sewing because I'm getting ready to order a few fairtex banana bags (6ft) so thats a lot of material
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: