Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Smiler
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: First Tournament Reply with quote

im a orange belt in shotokan karate and i have my first competition at the week end. im girl so i have only a few fights but i want to know is it ok to hit an opponent hard as when i sparr with the purple belt (the only girl near my age) she hits really hard.
if you have any tips when fighting please tell me.

MawashiGeri60
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for sparring in tournaments you cant hit sooooo hard trying to knock the air out of your opponent .. its suppose to be light contact to the head only with control but when i spar in tournaments i hit them hard in the abdominal areas .. but theres no contact to the face but remember keep your guard up in the tournaments it is harder than at a dojo becuase they set there mind on the gold medal .. but since its your first time i think it will be a bit easy if your sparring with a higher ranking than you then your in good shape try not to get nervous . the people in your competition will be nervous as well .. but try and do your techniques and everything will be fine .. OSU
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

stl_karateka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu & Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the advice I gave someone else on their 1st tourny:

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=10780&highlight=

As far as tips for fighting ---

1. Don't stop until the judges call 'halt' Just because you think you got a point or think your opponent got a point...do NOT stop.

2. Don't throw just 1 techique -- use combos -- backfist reverse punch....double kicks without setting down...hands and feet.

3. Know when to be offensive and when to be defensive. If you have the advantage of not fighting first -- watch your competition...do they 'fan' like a chicken at every kick and punch that comes at them? Do they stand flat-footed? Do they move around the ring? Are they offensive or defensive? Have contingencies for each scenerio, but at the same time don't limit what you can and cannot do.

4. As an orange belt you probably only know a few techniques --- stick to what you know! Tournaments aren't the time to practice advanced moves you haven't mastered yet. When I was a yellowbelt I won matches with just side kick, back first and reverse punch

Good luck and let us know how it goes
Kita

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your first tournament!
Remember, it's OK to be nervous - I'm sure your opponent probably will be too.
Stick with the techniques that you know and I'm sure you'll do fine. When your opponent is lying unconcious in a pool of their own blood, then that is the time to stop hitting them... LOL
Seriously, though, attack with force, but not too hard - in some competitions you can be warned or even become disqualified for using excessive force, especially to the head.
The best person to check with is probably your sensei. He/she should be able to tell you what sort of contact to use and if there are any techniques that you can't do in the comp.
Don't forget to let us know how you get on!

Sheffield Steelers!

Smiler
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just like to say i got first in the kata

stl_karateka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu & Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!!

telsun
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju-ryu, Ju-jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smiler wrote:

That's superb smiler, well done
Don't stop there though. Tell us about it. Was you nervous? Which kata/s did you do? How did the sparring go?
Someone else entering their first competition may read this and your insights will be of more value than us experienced ones (lol) handing out advice and trying to recall our first comp.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smiler wrote:

Congratulations, Smiler!! Well done!
Don't forget to tell us all about it, though.
What kata(s) did you do?

Sheffield Steelers!

MawashiGeri60
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the kumite competition .. what techniques did u try to use . .or anything else . was it tough competition ???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

tokeabowl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: PRIDE-OKINAWA-PRIDE(Karate)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont sweat!! Your not going to get hurt, on the other hand, if you are gonna go full contact, your screwed!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: