Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bobby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry people I know I post lots on new threads!!!!!!

Anyway - Silk realing, any one heard of it?

Example. Reverse Punch

Push from the leg

Then the hip

Then the waist

Then the chest (open then close)

Rotation of the arm

Then the wrist.

Any comments

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

swing from the heels.

Why is it called that!?!?! I would have thought pushing from the ground would be the better term. Is it the same as silk reeling?

Sinbad
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like good co-ordination of the whole body so you get a really effective punch. Never heard the term silkreeling before though.

Interestingly, this co-ordination of the entire body in sequence is not unique to martial arts. Tennis players do exactly the same thing for a good serve and golfers do the same to hit a long drive. Guess there are only a limited number of ways the human body can generate maximum power whatever activity you are engaged in

Bobby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Tennis players do exactly the same thing for a good serve and golfers do the same to hit a long drive. Guess there are only a limited number of ways the human body can generate maximum power whatever activity you are engaged in

THATS JUST WHAT I THINK!!!!

when someone throws a ball-they use the whole of their body to do it - and I dont think that karate is much different.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the way any sport player is trained.

Basketball you just dont shoot flat footed. You jump thus using all your body to shoot.

Football needless to say to throw the ball you use more than just you arm but you shoulder, torso, hip, and leg.

Track you pump the arms to move the legs.

Weight Lifting you juse every major group of muscles on the big lifts. Bench, Cleans, and Squats.

Karate is the same thing. To be good you learn to make all your muscles work together to do the job one has been doing for the untrained person.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah..I know what you mean..
I dont' believe in the traditional reverse punch, since you don't get enough rotation.
I don't believe in having your back foot flat on the ground and your full body facing while you do the punch. Sure it may be quick, but it won't give you your maximum distance with your punch.

Instead, to throw a more effective back punch, twist your whole body until you're on your side. (Make sure you twist on the balls of your foot with your back leg.) By twisting your body more into your punch, you get more distance. (perhaps one inch or two)

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 70% of any technique's power comes from the lower body, when the mechanics are performed correctly. Another way to increase power is to hold the arm back until you actually feel the stretch across your shoulders, and then throw it out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have heard of "silk reeling" it is a style of movement that is associated with the Chinese internal style of martial art-- Neijia
Basically it is how the body utilizes movement.
For more info you can go to http://www.neijia.com

Bobby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a book called, The Sword Polisher's Record written by Adam Hsu which has silk reeling in it. (its kung fu but it still very much related to karate!)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: