Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Foreverlearning
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone tell me some tips on how to mount an intermediate lvl grappler when you are in the guard position?

also does anyone know a good tactic on how to psyche an opponent out so he doesn't kick you in the face when you go for a standing single leg takedown?

Lars
KF VIP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please be more specific on the grappling part.

I always focus at the center of the opponent's collar bone, this gives you more overview on when and how he will strike at you, and it also prevents you from freezing and getting scared by your opponents eyes.

Try not to use the most risky moves on your opponent like a standing single leg takedown, that's like wrestling. Wait until he kicks, grab his leg, and swipe him down on the leg he is standing on.

Foreverlearning
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just asked about the single leg takedown because i do no see a practical application about it.
But focusing on the collar bone is a good idea. What i guess i should of asked is when you are on top of somebody you are grappling. I know to keep your legs out and all your weight on them and to use everything in your power to get their legs(and even arms) away from you

Lars
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean completely neutralizing an opponent? Well I'm afraid reading won't help much as you may have to see the techniques yourself, as they are much about adapting against your opponent's every move, and keeping control.

Well I wouldn't suggest that method of grappling an opponent as you can easily be thrown of him/her. It's probably the worst posistion to be in even against an intermediate. Just make sure to position your balance properly in order not to be slung off. Relax in your body, in that way you are heavier.

I would suggest using a head lock where you keep the opponent's arm close into your body.

I hope this helped you, if not don't hesitate to ask.

Rambo2001
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a grappling tip for you...grab the other person round the neck and then throw them on the ground

arghhhhhhhhhhhh

Lars
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2001 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good tip Rambo if you want to kill your opponent...

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi "Forever"

OK - I'll deal with these one at a time...

"how to mount an intermediate lvl grappler when you are in the guard position?"

Are we punching etc too? Wearing a Gi? I'll assume this is grappling only with a Gi for now.

I assume you mean you have him in your guard? If he's intermediate level he will know all the basic sweeps & reversals, so you must work in combination. You could use what we in JKD call ABD - Attack by Drawing. Open your legs and stick your right foot tight under his left armpit whilst pushing him away - this will create space & draw him into going for the achilles lock on your right leg. Make sure through the above that you maintain a grip on him with your right hand, ideally at his right lapel. As he goes for the achilles lock he will probably step up with his left foot - leaving his right thigh vertical - i.e. very prone to being swept. Switch your right knee across his chest and scoot your hips to the right - this should set up a good scissor sweep into your mount. If you are not familiar with things like the basic scissor sweep & the achilles lock then I doubt very much your chances of success against an intermediate level grappler anyway - but if you need more techical details ask away.

OK - setting up the single leg without getting kicked... A few ideas for you to try...

1. Draw his attention to the high line somehow - maybe a fake a high punch. Then shoot for the single.

2. Try entering as he's moving away - throw a low kick & as he moves back shoot for your single. It's a lot hader to kick whilst moving backwards.

3. Draw his kick, as he retracts it shoot for the single.

Hope that helps, if you want more just holler

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: