Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Seibukan, Shotokan, Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full chamber has a couple of rationales behind it.
-To train the student to use hip rotation when doing techniqes, therefore using his entire body, rather than just his arm.
-The hikite can be thought of as pulling the oppponent into the karateka.
-In some techniques, like the final two techniques of Pinan Sandan, the hikite is perfoming an elbow strike.
-Alternately (in the same kata) the hikite represents the hand on the opponent's collar during a throw.

So the short answer is that there is no short answer.

aznkarateboi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: shaolin gung fu southern style

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but if hikite is for those applications and is a training method of hip rotation, why is it required by the WKF in continuous sparring?

sriney
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Matter of Discipline Reply with quote

It's a matter of discipline... to yourself and the art. Doing a full chamber adds crispness and definition to your movements. Also falls along the Yin/Yang philosophy... opposite actions... one hand moves out - one back.

WTF Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do
Piasa Martial Arts - Alton, IL

White Belt in Kobudo
GMAP - Springfield, IL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Goju1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: IOGKF Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better not chamber in real sparring (As opposed to point or tournament style) you'll get your clock cleaned I would suggest hands close to temples, elbows tucked in to protect the body blows. Of course, I suppose it depends on how hard your dojo spars?

ESA-Shotokan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Hand on waist Reply with quote

When I first saw the title of this topic, I thought it was something about coming out of the closet?!

Ripper
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Matter of Discipline Reply with quote

sriney wrote:
It's a matter of discipline... to yourself and the art. Doing a full chamber adds crispness and definition to your movements. Also falls along the Yin/Yang philosophy... opposite actions... one hand moves out - one back.

Please keep on doing that so your opponent can win easier!

The explanation of equaninimus and the question of aznkarateboi say it all; there is no other use of hikite in sparring. So don't use a full chamber while sparring.

It has nothing to do with the things sriney is talking about. If you are sparring in competition all you want to do is to win. You show discipline by not beating the ... out of your opponent; not by using hikite. The crispness and definition you work on in kihon and kata. And the Yin/Yang thing.....

sriney
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Matter of Discipline Reply with quote

Ripper wrote:
sriney wrote:

Please keep on doing that so your opponent can win easier!

It has nothing to do with the things sriney is talking about. If you are sparring in competition all you want to do is to win. You show discipline by not beating the ... out of your opponent; not by using hikite. The crispness and definition you work on in kihon and kata. And the Yin/Yang thing.....

FYI, this explanation was in reply to the inquiry of why to teach this at all in the first place. If you'll read my previous post in the thread, you will see that I came out adamantly against the concept of chambering in application of technique. I then went on to say that it was taught for kata and practice of the discipline. The question came up after that of why to teach it at all since it caused confusion. Hence, my explanation.

WTF Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do
Piasa Martial Arts - Alton, IL

White Belt in Kobudo
GMAP - Springfield, IL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: