Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

hey_you
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Hanging a heavy bag Reply with quote

I'm thinking about getting a 100 lb. bag but I'm not sure how to hang it. I have a garage and I guess I could hang it in there but I'd rather hang it in my basement. My basement has like a 12 ft. ceiling but I just don't know how to hang it or if I need to modify the ceiling using support boards or something like that. If anyone has done this or has any idea where to find info about how to do it I'd like to know because I've searched and haven't been able to find anything. Also, I found a bagstand by TKO that seemed like it might possibly be in my price range. If anyone has used one I'm interested to know how well they work because I hit really hard. All help greatly appreciated.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with the bag stand if you can. All that pounding and jarring can eventually work nails loose in your floor. You could also rattle things off shelves upstairs. The longer the span of your joists, the worse the problems will be. If you do hang the bag from a joist, the least I'd do is strong-back the joist you hang it from. Run another joist full length alongside the one you are hanging it on and nail the two together along the entire length. Shim the ends if necessary, and put the new joist in with the crown up.

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 70lb bag hanging in my garage. I have the stands at my school. I am an advocate of the hanging bags. When they swing back at you it allows you to work on your dodging and slipping skills, and your timing for punches and kicks. You never have to worry about knocking them over either. Just take an eye screw (looks like a huge screw with a circle attached to it) and drive it into one of the 4x2's in your ceiling. Connect the chain of the heavy bag to the eye bolt with a "s" hook. Let me know if you want more info.

Good luck!

WhiteBelt
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never get a stand because I don't want to accidentally step on the feet of the stand when I'm kicking... Too bad my floors and ceilings are made of concrete and will crumble after some long term abuse.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hang mine from a beam in my garage with a peice of chain. Just try and find something very solid that will not fall down.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: