Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Hapkidodude
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your favorite Hapkido technique to use in sparring? There can be more than one. Sweeps and throws are right at the top for me right now. I like to use a good lead leg kick to make them respect my kicking, then fake a kick to get in close and use a hip throw or shoulder throw.

The Hand is quicker than the eye!

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youre correct alot of peolple assume that hapkido is a form of akido becuase of the name similarities..it is actually composed of yu sool..which is a japanese style of jijitsu known as daito ryu..and the root of taekwondo which i consider the martial art side not sport taek-kyung....so the first part involves grappling..throws..takedowns..joint locking and the second.. hand strikes and kicks. the founder was actually Yong sool Choi..he was taught an older form practiced by korean royalty which setteled in japan called hapki yu sul...by dakeda shogaku....thirty years ago master choi developed with han jae li a combination of hapki yu with taek-kung to form modern hapkido...the name meaning is broken down as HAP (coordination harmony) KI(energy) and DO (way) it was also about this time that modern taekwon do was formed

[ This Message was edited by: taezee on 2001-10-12 10:34 ]

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleas excuse me this was actually in response to hapkidodude's question in the go korean stylist thread

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

Chris from CT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jung Ki Hapkido, Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on who you talk to, there are alot of different variations on the history of Hapkido. Some people get very upset when you say something that doesn't fit with their version. "Politics."

Take care

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAEZEE...this is the same version that i was taught........
.......this is a good title for our hapkido discussion.......

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes...chris please feel free to elaborate as to what other versions there are for i was not aware of other versions..and who are these other "people" saying otherwise

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

Hapkidodude
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread seems to have ignited a very familiar debate. I think if you read the first post in this thread, it has nothing to do with politics. I was trying to start a thread about Hapkido Techniques.

The Hand is quicker than the eye!

Chris from CT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jung Ki Hapkido, Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Here is just another version. It's similar.

Hapkido was founded in the 1950's by Choi, Yong Sul. Born in Korea, he was taken to japan during the Japanese occupation of Korea. There he stayed with the Morimoto Family for a brief time and then he was abandoned in Moji. He eventually found shelter from living on the streets in a buddhist temple in Osaka. While living there a monk named Kintaro Watanabi asked young Choi, Yong Sul what direction he wanted his life to take. He responded by pointing at a mural of monks in martial art training on one of the walls in the temple.

The monk had a friend who was a master of Daito Ryu Aikijiujutsu named Sokaku Takeda. This is the same teacher that taught Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of Aikido. Choi, Yong Sul lived there for thity years until the end of World War 2 when Sokaku Takeda died. Choi, Yong Sul returned to Korea and supported himself by teaching what he had learned from Sokaku Takeda in Japan under many names (Yu Sul etc.) until he finally settled with Hapkido.

It's difficult to say exactly what is the true history due to the fact there was great turmoil between Koreans and Japanese at the time. The Japanese believed that a "lowly Korean" could never master a Japanese art. While on the other side, the Koreans wanted nothing to do with a Japanese art. To this day, depending on the organization you talk to, will either admit or venomously deny any Japanese influence at all.

Like I said before about religion, it's not like you get extra points in heaven if you convert more people. What ever the truth is we may never know. Put the information out there and let people decide for themselves.
If you train hard and your skill is good, then that's all that matters.

No Politics, Just Martial Arts!

Take care

Edited for Spelling Errors

Last edited by Chris from CT on Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:06 am; edited 2 times in total

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because of the lack of hapkido practitioners in this forum.........any conversation is a good thing......i am also interested in other concepts of hapkido.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris your version is the same...as for any korean stylist claiming the japanese had no influence in korean martial arts..what kind of substance are you smoking?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: