Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

angelica d
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a cool game - if I was any good at push ups!!!

Anyway kotegashiNeo, I agree with you, its important to develop skills, strength and reflexes for martial arts. Whilst its a nice idea to think that kids will learn all they need through doing drills, basics and 'proper' martial arts stuff, the fact is that very few kids are willing to do that. They have such short attention spans that you have to give them varied lessons (by varied I mean different 'intensity' stuff - some basic techniques, then a game/quiz etc). Otherwise you'll end up with a load of unenthusiastic kids or worse still, an empty dojo!

Jane Doe
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathanjusko wrote:
My only problem is the instructors that give kids classes and don't teach a single thing about true martial arts, a person should not receive a belt based on their knowledge of "ninja freeze" or dodgeball. I have no problems running a daycare or a babysitting type environment. However, I do have a problem with these 9-10 year old black belts who don't know jack !%!$ about martial arts, that's all. If you are going to run a "martial arts" class then you should teach martial arts, not dodgeball.

I think you are making a whole bunch of assumptions and jumping on your soapbox without even making the attempt to understand that games are a PORTION of the class. No one said they received a belt based on their knowledge of 'ninja freeze'. You obviously have huge issues with children blackbelts and that is totally irrelevant to this thread. Take your diatribe elsewhere and those of us who want to teach kids in a fun and friendly way without producing little killing machines can get on with intelligent, rational discussion.

Thanks for the input

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: goju/ Aikido

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angelica, kids need to learn karate to not just play games, which I am sure jane doe is doing. As for my school I assure you it is full of very happy kids. The trick is disguised repetition, through different drills, constant reassurence and lots of love. Very rarely do I do anything traditional with beginner kids, however the more advanced kids have the discpline to endure much more traditional trainning.

ialwaysgethit
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kids can take a lot of knowledge in, but also need fun soi try to give them the knowledge with the fun.
kids vary unfortunately from town to town never mind from counrty to country.

also sometimes help that they want to be there and not their parents pushing them in kicking and sceaming every lesson, not that i have seen that,

xtremartialarts1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: tkd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, you never do "games" in the karate school. Make sure you call them "drills." You can even mention to the kids that you never play games in the karate school. You do drills because everydrill has a benifit for their martial arts training. Tell them if they want to play games they could just join a gym or recreation center. Parents will love to hear that.
Anyway, make sure with this little kid age group that you just keep things mooving. You could use the same things that are done in the older kids classes, but just water it down. For instance, make sure that their is no more than 5 kids in a line, and always have little contests with them like which line or kid has the highest kick or the loudest kia. Make a big deal about that and make sure they are smilling and having a good time.

pressureguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kindai No Karate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeygirl wrote:
(have them walk) like different animals such as dogs, monkeys, ducks, etc, (you can tell them that's the first step to Kung Fu mastery or something), anything to wear them out. Relays, coordination drills, endurance & stamina drills, jumping drills, running drills, anything and everything that isn't violent or dangerous.

That is the first time I have seen that animal idea. That is brilliant. I love it!

pressureguy

Krazy Carol
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin-Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with 4-7 year olds too. We do lots of "games" but explain how they relate to karate.
I do Balance drills where the kids put square pads on their heads. We have them try to walk and kick keeping their balance.
I tell the parents about how they have to walk with balance, their heads up confident and balance is key to better kicks.

Games are fine but remember tie in the MA part in regardless of the game. Dodge ball when you think about can be a lesson in MA.... stay on your toes.

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: