Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

CloudDragon
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Jujitsu, Kenpo, Taekwondo, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Have you heard of??? Reply with quote

I am doing research for a friend who is considering joining a school in his area. They teach TKD and Tracy's Kenpo. My question is, has anyone heard of: Central States Taekwondo Association, and the USA Kenpo Karate Network. My friend asked me about them and I haven't heard of them before, maybe some of you have?

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKD and Tracey's Kenpo- now that's an interesting combination. While Tracey's Kenpo is a Parker based style, they do things a little differently than American Kenpo. For one thing, they have a tendency to rush through their techniques (they say they are 'more dynamic'). But they do have a respectable system, and can be very effective. My question would be how they combined the two arts: first how they unified the principles and concepts and how much of each they teach. But a more sticky point is how they were able to do that with the Tracey's blessing (if in fact they were able to get that). The Tracey bros. were pretty exclusive, from what I've heard and read on their website, and didn't take kindly to mixing arts with theirs. Tracey people tend to think they havethe one true way sometimes. On the other hand, Kenpo and TKD are easily unified and, I think, make an excellent combination. So I'd say look into it and see. Just don't sign any contracts until you are sure. Personlly, I wouldn't sign a contract any how, but especially not until I'd been with a school for at least a year. By then you should know.

Some things to check:
Are they teaching concepts and principles, not just moves?
Do they spar regularly, and sometimes with contact?
Can the students explain what they are doing in the ideal (learning) phase of a technique as well as the what if phase, where things can go wrong?
Can they do their techniques under an attack with street force and variables?
Can the students explain the principles used in the TKD one steps, and tell you what types of actual attacks those moves would work against, and why?
Can they turn a one step into a useable, street effective move, and use it that way?
Can they interpret a form/hyung as more than a serries of moves, or the old cliche' of a 'mock fight'?

Good luck, and I hope this works out for you as it sounds interesting.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: