Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

will56
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Gan teora kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Heavy bag Reply with quote

(Not sure if this goes in this board so feel free to move it if you must)
I just got myself a heavy bag for use at home but i'm having some trouble in hanging it. No stores near me sell brackets for mounting it from a ceiling (which I need). Does anyone have any suggestions for a d.i.y set-up that I could make.

Rich67
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do, San Soo, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted mine in the garage without any brackets. Try this:
1) find one of the braces in your ceiling, and if you have access to it, go into the attic and "boost" up the wood brace. Do this by getting a 2x4 and cutting it so it makes a "Y" shaped joist and attaches to the nearby braces. SCREW the new joists into the other wood braces (nails aren't as strong).
2) Use a large eye hook and screw it in to the brace DEAD CENTER. The screw should be very large... and it should easily accomodate the hardware that came with the bag (which should be 4 chains with hooks at one end, and a swivel attachment).
3) The screw should easily support the weight of the bag, and should be in the wood securely enough so that it won't move a millimeter when you hang the bag up. The additional joist you put up should add security to the original brace in your house, this way when the bag swings, the brace won't flex.
The hardest part is to make sure the new joists you make fit tightly against the beam and the adjoining joists. I wish I had some pics for you, but this is as good as I can do. Mine has been up for years, and it's taken a lot of punishment without any indication of weakening. But you don't need any brackets.

Radok
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate-do

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think rich was trying to say S
K
R
E
W, but it was censored.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: