Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kajukenbofighter
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Help!!I need to learn martial Arts fast! Reply with quote

HI,I want to learn martial Arts, what styles should i take!its this kid at my chool who used to do kung fu moves on meand also knew Ninjutsu. Does any body kno wht styles i should take to defend against Kungfu and Ninjutsu?

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah! Slow down there! Beating people from other styles shouldn't be your motivation behind training! And if you want to learn something very quickly, try Muay Thai..it is a very hardcore style that emphasizes constant sparring/fighting. Also, if your school has a wrestling team, JOIN IT! Wrestling is awesome for takedowns and takedown defense.
Girls kick butt!

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.........with the screen name KajukenboFighter, I would have thought that you are already training in that particular system. Mind me for asking, but do you or are you familiar with Kajukenbo? If you are or were, then I wouldn't expect such a question from one who has any sort of formal training.

Training in the martial arts, no matter what style is about a way of life. Anyone who studies a martial art, whether formal or not, should be able to defend oneself depending upon how much that person trains. BTW if you would be so kind as to provide a little introduction of yourself that would be great, unless I missed it....

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look if you only want to kick someone's butt, you don't even need martial arts. The Arts are for self defense or Sport.
You shouldn't talk martial arts just for revenge, this isn't a "kung fu movie" Remember, violence will only bring you more violence.

Now, for your question..Boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, wrestling,
in all those styles you can learn the techniques quick and the remaining time is for conditioning and drilling.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Correction.... You shoudn't TAKE , not "talk",... lol

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fist of all if the kid did moves on you they did not take anyting. If they did they would know better. At least I would hope so. Any style of MA will give you some Self Defense. As far as Kung Fu and Ninjitus go I would not worry about it. Its not the art its the person doing the art.

However you may want to read in the art vs. art section to see what other have to say. Im sure there is a thread on it. LOL.....

Athorn4941
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know this kid reminds me of me I would train and train when I wanted to beat people up when I was younger(My main motivation for martial arts). But as I trained and got older fighting seemed not to be the answer no more. You know what I mean. I guess I progressed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here...I used to enjoy being able to take down people bigger than me (easy to do since everyone is...I'm 5'0"), if it were even in the slightest provoked. That was when I was say, a green belt.

Now, I guess I've been humbled a bit. I try to avoid conflict at all costs. If my friends know that I'm a martial artist, I just tell them that fighting them goes against my ninja code (and no I don't do ninjitsu)

However, in the dojo with my MA buddies is quite different
At least twice a night we're rolling around or kicking at each other. Just last week I kicked somebody upside the face for touching my hair j/k he was fighting me too. But there, we're all educated in MA and we've consented to do this. It's not like we have unfair advantages (well, all the guys ARE stronger than me, but that doesn't count) such as a trained person vs. an untrained person. And, we're not bullying each other around. The moment any of us begin to bleed or cry, fighting stops

Anyway, my point is you don't use your skills for selfish reasons, but you can still have fun with it. You just have to use your head.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Kajukenbofighter
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:20 pm    Post subject: no! Reply with quote

Round-i just want to defend my self from attacks and from people like that, i don't mean to just challenge his style if thats what you mean.

as far as my screen name goes i choose i like Kajukebo.I have no experience but hopefully if i find a school i will.

Im not interested in just kickin peoples butt, i want self defense, and to be able to fight off agressive attacker and not be a coward.
And MA has been one of my interests fo awhile.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an interest in Kajukenbo? Are you in an area that teaches that sytem? Kajukenbo is one of the many off-shoots of the Kenpo/Kempo system that originated out of Hawaii.

The system teaches many self defense techniques, as well as katas, and perhaps some weapons. You can do a search on Kajukenbo on the internet and you should be able to find plenty of information on the system.

In general any martial arts system in my opinion can teach you how to defend yourself, but it'll be up to you and you alone to accomplish your goals in martial arts.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: