Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Ronnryu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shito ryu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: high block? Reply with quote

Hello all I am jsut looking for some opninons . I ahve severall studnets taht are going to be cross testing for ther balck belt in Shito ryu . some of them have been doing shotokan for over 20 yrs. Now here is the question I have always been taught to do a jodan uke high block coming to the inside of the other hand. However in shotokan they ahve always doen the high block to the outside of the arm. Now in my opinion it dosent make much of a difference jsut different bunkai. however one of my fellow karateka who will be on the testign board is making it a really big deal and says that he will mark off on the students if the block taht way. So what do yall think?

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that they need to do it the way that it's supposed to be done for the system they are testing for. Isn't that pretty obvious?

Just in comparison, Shorinryu does their hand rising to the outside. It makes it considerable less likely trhat you'll break your own nose, or uppercut yourself under the chin! No kidding! I've seen people do it.

Ronnryu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your reply. it is just hard to get people to change something that you have been doing for 20years. and realy does it make that much of a differance and yes I have seen people punch themselves aswell . myself I always felt stronger doing it to the inside I guess its a personnal preferance.

username9
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that they should be adapting to the style they are testing for - however the other examiners should allow a little "breathing space".

And Shukokai does this block by bringing the fist accross the body to the opposite side and then up and out in an arc-type motion.

benkendrick
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okuno-Ryu Karate, MDK Tang Soo Do, Sohng Ahm TKD, Nippon Shorinji Kempo, Seibukan Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: high block? Reply with quote

Ronnryu wrote:
Hello all I am jsut looking for some opninons . I ahve severall studnets taht are going to be cross testing for ther balck belt in Shito ryu . some of them have been doing shotokan for over 20 yrs. Now here is the question I have always been taught to do a jodan uke high block coming to the inside of the other hand. However in shotokan they ahve always doen the high block to the outside of the arm. Now in my opinion it dosent make much of a difference jsut different bunkai. however one of my fellow karateka who will be on the testign board is making it a really big deal and says that he will mark off on the students if the block taht way. So what do yall think?

As one who has kind of been there done that (cross train/ranked in multiple systems) I've always felt obliged to change my technique as applicable for the art I'm training/testing in. (as they say, when in Rome...)

IMO It doesn't take anything away from what I've previously learned, it just gives me a new/alternative perspective on the techniques... I do agree with the comment that the other judges should take the previous training into consideration. However if the technique isn't performed correctly for that particular Ryu it should be judged accordingly...

I'm having a really hard time adjusting to the way Shikko Dachi is done in my current system - But I understand the principles behind the difference and the training has made me a better MA for it...

Ronnryu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree and I am sure the head judge will . However it is jsut one guy who really likes to creat drama taht is insisting on this . this guy has me on the verge of leaving this current organization. I mean it is hard to change something tha you have been doing for over 20 years. And I mean come one a high block is a high block.

Shane
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Combative Arts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to change something that you have been doing for 20 years, I agree with that. I also agree that these individuals who are trying to cross rate need to perform technique to the standard of the art they are cross rating to, if not then they should just be given it right.

Lets see most people who cross rate will tell you that they have a black belt it more than one art. With that I expect them to know more than one art, you know what I mean. Anyways just my opinion, if a block works then a block works but you are dealing with different standards and the rank requirements and thats why I think they need to perform it to the same standard as a brown belt in that art going for the test.

Just my Thoughts

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends upon your understanding of what a high "block"s purpose is. It sounds like both the judge and the students trying to cross train have a limited understanding of this technique.

I will agree that since these students are trying to grade in another system they should do the material the way it is done in that system.

foreveryoung001
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1st dan in TKD, but I recently spent about a year working out with a local Tang Soo Do club. I actually took offense that the instructor was letting me "off the hook" on some of the techniques. A lot of them were exactly the same, but one, in particular, that was different in it's application was an open hand high block. The finished technique looked the same, but how you moved to get there was different. I spent a lot of time retraining my body to move in the way the instructor the teaching, but he kept telling me not to worry about it, as long as it looked the same when it was done. I thought this was the wrong message. I was there to learn a new art, not to be told that I could do it however I wanted as long as it looked good in the end.

Just another point of view.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foreveryoung001 wrote:
The finished technique looked the same, but how you moved to get there was different. I spent a lot of time retraining my body to move in the way the instructor the teaching, but he kept telling me not to worry about it, as long as it looked the same when it was done. I thought this was the wrong message.

I'd say you are prefectly correct. Especially the hand/knife block has many different methods of execution in different systems that I've seen...and like you said, most of them end up the same way.

BRAVO for you in realizing this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: