Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sibylla
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kickboxing, FMA, MMA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Hip movement Reply with quote

What muscles I should concentrate on to make the correct, fast and sharp hip movement (forward and backwards)? I'd like to avoid the hula dancer moves...

An is it correct to feel a lot of inside tension in zenkutsu dachi when I move the blocking side of the hip forward for let's say age uke?

stl_karateka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu & Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question! I'm not an expert on the hip movement myself yet and my instructor can tell when I am trying too hard --- a-lo-ha oyyyyy!!

As far as the zenkutsu dachi --- you should feel some tension on your inner quads (is that the right muscle...inside of your thigh) --- but not a lot so it is uncomfortable. Make sure your heel isn't coming off the ground -- perhaps you need to shorten your stance a bit...check with your instructor.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hip movement Reply with quote

Sibylla wrote:
What muscles I should concentrate on to make the correct, fast and sharp hip movement (forward and backwards)? I'd like to avoid the hula dancer moves

Concentrate on the muscles of the lower back, just behind the lower tan tien. The hula moves you describe comes mostly from concentrating on, and exagerating, hip movement. When you move from the waist, the upper and lower body is in ballance, and you can make all your movements both more relaxed and sharper at the same time.

That question shows a lot of insight. Hopefully this will help.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: