Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jctkd
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: tae kwon do, kobudo, bjj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: holding a stretch on stretch machine Reply with quote

hi, sorry if this is a post already i did search first. i have a proforce stretching machine i like it but i dont want to injure myself... how long should i hold a stretch at my max? i dont want to hurt anything and i dont crank it too far.. thanks

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: holding a stretch on stretch machine Reply with quote

jctkd wrote:
hi, sorry if this is a post already i did search first. i have a proforce stretching machine i like it but i dont want to injure myself... how long should i hold a stretch at my max? i dont want to hurt anything and i dont crank it too far.. thanks

Although I've never owned a stretching machine, I believe the same rules apply with any stretching. You want to push yourself, but not to the point of injury. In other words, stretch as far as you can, and when it starts to feel "tight", hold it at that point for maybe a 5-10 count, then relax. What I do then is back off for a few seconds, and go again...and keep doing this. Exhaling as you stretch is always good too, as it relaxes the the body and will allow you to go a bit further each time. Do NOT stretch to the point where you could tear a muscle. That's not good, and from personal experience, they can take a long time to heal. Especially if you're like me, and keep reinjuring them because "Oh it doesn't hurt THAT bad!"

Kicks
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: WTF Tae Kwon Do (USTU,AAU), Hapkido

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once tried one of those stretching gizmos at our TKD school. I ended up entending it too far to the point of much discomfort. Then the pin broke and I couldn't release it. I was stuck and starting to really hurt. I didn't want to call for help and embarrass myself, but I wasn't going to get away with it. A senior black belt came in and once he realized what had happed to me he just started laughing. I eventually got him to stand behind me and lift me out of the contraption!

gojuchad
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: goju-ryu karate/tae kwon do

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

I have been told and have seen improvements by holding a very long time. Now when i say this you should not be at the point of severe pain but you should feel a stretch. I have read that a better stretch wil come when the muscle is stretched for long durations. So in other words dont crank it out as far as you can for about 5 secounds it wont work that way and you may injur yourself. And also stretch several times a day if you can. Hope this helps, God Bless.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Small Variety....."Spice of Life"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicks wrote:
I once tried one of those stretching gizmos at our TKD school. I ended up entending it too far to the point of much discomfort. Then the pin broke and I couldn't release it. I was stuck and starting to really hurt. I didn't want to call for help and embarrass myself, but I wasn't going to get away with it. A senior black belt came in and once he realized what had happed to me he just started laughing. I eventually got him to stand behind me and lift me out of the contraption!

That exact situation happened to me. Talk about injury and embarassment.

ncole_91
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be funny, and it would hurt lol

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: goju/ Aikido

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will hold my maximum stretch for no longer than 1 min but twice a week I will hold for 20 minutes about 80 percent of my maximum stretch and I have seen great results in overall flexiabilty and leg strength

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Small Variety....."Spice of Life"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what happens as one gets old-older?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: