Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Trock
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: TKD,Vovinam,BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Home Mats Reply with quote

Anyone know of a company that sells used wrestling mats...like for a home sparring area? I have seen a few on the web, but they start at about $500.00.

Will mostly be used for ground fighting and falls, not for throwing...so they don't have to be super thick.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the ones I've seen are still pretty spendy. $500.00 is a good price for a decent matt.

I use a large area rug with layers of carpet padding under it (cost $0.00, US ). I can add or take away layers of padd to get the effect I want. The disadvantage is you have to move several rolls instead of one, and you periodically have to stop working out to readjust the pads and rug. Rug burns are also a problem.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time, I bought the Swain home mat when it went on sale. Think it was down to $275.00. It was 8x8 and the foam pcs. fit into it's vinyl shell. It was good for grappling, and light to moderate take downs. The only thing is that I didn't use it so much for grappling, so I sold it off. Swain is normally just hell expensive, but when they had the sell on their home mat, I was surprised at the low sale price.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dojo is attached to the back of my house (used to be a garage) and I purchased 3/4" carpet pad, and then got some EXCELLENT quality used carpet (no stains or discoloring) out of the dumpster behind a carpet store. Total cost...under $30. It's plenty of padding for normal falls and takedowns if you aren't slamming people down, and best of all...it's CHEAP! It also makes that part of my house much nicer, and according to a realtor friend of mine, it turned my 2 bedroom house into a 3 bedroom if I want to sell it down the road.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: