Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Foreverlearning
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem, in that i live in a rural area called Sierra Vista(the last time i checked that it was ever mentioned is as the home town of Don Frye), and there is not much here in the way of Chinese Wu Su if nothing at all. I think the only places it is taught is in Phoenix which is about 4 and a half hours away. I am very interested in learning it, but i do not know how i would go about doing it. Does a background in JuJitsu help? I could purchase books, but the information presented would probably be not clear in that there is more to learn besides just forms and morality. Another situation is that since there are no masters here, who would i look to for guidance and who could tell me what skills i am lacking? Should I try to learn it, or just forget about the notion until i am out of highschool and search for a master in my state? Thanks to anyone who decides to help me

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can ask thaiboxerken - he lives in Tempe, AZ - I have no idea how close that is to you or not, but he may have an idea as to where you can go.

Foreverlearning
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, Tempe is the same distance as Phoenix, as it is in the same metropolitan area

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try videos from Wing Lam.
http://www.wle.com
While videos can never replace actual instruction, if this is something you plan to study later on it can help you learn some of the basics.

Foreverlearning
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a bundle, but those videos sure are pricy. Are they well worth the cost? I am almost certain a month of instruction would cost about as much as 2 videos. Just the whole philosophy behind Wu Su(or wushu i see it written differently everywhere) enthralls me. I am a practicing Buddhist without a teacher as well and i find it difficult sometimes to understand some discourses. But i know the physical aspect of the art requires a teacher simply because unlike how i behave, i can not always monitor how i move and i would more than likely do things incorrectly. Maybe someone on this board might be able to email me some of the things they do, like how they practice stance, etc?

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no no no NO! Do NOT, and i stres that, do NOT practice from books or videos!

If u do not have anything in ur local area then i suggest u stick to whatever u have (i think u said Jiu Jitsu) and just wait until u are out of highschool. Good things come to those who wait. You could move and find a job in Phoenix or something after highschool or whatever. It's tough luck that u don't have the thing u want right near u, but for your own sake don't go and waste money on books or videos. I've moved around a lot during my life and i've come across a lot of different arts (if u read any of my posts u might see the different arts i've done), u might do the same during your life. Just be patient.

Angus

Foreverlearning
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I am patient. I have been waiting 16 years for something, and i can easily wait another 16. My main desire is to just learn more of the Martial Arts without going to tournaments to see what judges think of me. All those medals and belts to me are useless. Its the journey and not the stop is what interests me.
I was reading somewhere on this board that Jeet Kun Do is loosely based around what i just said. Should i possibly look into that when i get the chance?

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2001 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The videos are quite good, and I believe there is an option to go train with him or send video tapes of yourself doing the patterns for critique. If you are in Arizona you could take a short trip.

Again I don't feel this is the best way to learn, because you don't get the feedback you would in class. To the same extent it's better than nothing.

As a far as videos go the Wing Lam series is really good. My friend used to work for a strore that rented martial arts instruction tapes, and I would say that his were alot better than most.

http://www.liveyyc.com

Calgary Photographer: http://www.jdirom.com

owthathurts
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Foreverlearning!

A few tips from my Sifu:

"Stand straight! Chest out! Stomach In! Shoulders dropped! Stretch everyday! Point toes inward when stretching! Every movement must be clear and distinct."

I e-mailed you but these are some basic tips to keep in mind when practicing wushu. Keeping a straight posture when kicking or while practicing stances is something beginners forget often.

Good Luck.

By the way...I think I got your name wrong in the e-mail. Sorry.

The JKD Kid
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that little bit about Jeet Kune Do. If your not interested in medels or belts ,
Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do is the way to go. (Note, Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do is diferant then Jeet Kune Do Concepts) I my self train in Jun Fan/ Jeet Kune Do , and I tell you what, its very much about your skill, and not about your belt color. Its very simply put, Scientific Street Fighting. Here's a web site that has a list of Bruce Lee's students, such as Steve Golden, Ted Wong and people under them, who knows maybe some ones in your area. Check it out. http://www.bruceleefoundation.com

>img src="images/smiles/icon_smile.gif" alt="">
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: