Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

TMAA
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Ju-Jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: How do you Teach? Back to the Basics? Reply with quote

I've been spending too much time lately trying to come up with fun drills and cute games to "fool" my (kid) students into learning something that applies to the martial arts. I've had students say stuff like, "Are we going to do something fun today?" and I started to feel like I should be putting on tap shoes and a top hat with my Dobok.

Then I got to thinking -- traditional TaeKwon Do was enough to catch and hold my interest all by itself. In other words, people who study martial arts are probably doing it because they LIKE it! My master instructor didn't worry about whether I was being entertained in class. Many classes were patterns and sparrng, or just bag work. But I enjoyed every class just the same.

So I'm thinking, "I'm your instructor; I'm not here to entertain you. If you don't like TKD, go join a baseball team or take dance lessons. Find something you DO like, in other words."

I felt a great sense of relief when I realized I don't have to be clever and entertaining. I can just teach what I know, teach it well, and that's good enough. I can still use games when it's appropriate, but I don't have to.

Has anyone else out there found that teaching in a more traditional style is the best method? I understand that having fun classes may help to get the rent paid. But I've found that retaining the really serious students is much more satisfying...

Thoughts? Opinions?

TangSooGuy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I employ games to teach concepts to kids (and even adults) occasionally, but I don't use them every class, nor do I think I should.

The students are there to learn traditional martial arts, not to be baby-sat. the core of my lessons will always be traditional martial arts drills, lessons, etc...

Any game you incorporate should have a martial arts lesson in it, and you should share that lesson with the group...I tend to play the game first, and then ask the kids what it teaches them, and how it relates to their martial arts training. this way they discover more for themselves, rather than always being spoon fed everything.

never play a game solely for the purpose of "having fun"...Fun is a by product of the training, and training should be fun...but fun is not the focus.

It sounds like you're on the right track, really...

Remember kids are kids, and there is nothing wrong with games that also teach a lesson, but it's the lesson that the kids should be focusing on, not the game itself.

You have to have passion for what you do, and be excited about what you're teaching...and the kids will share that.

Not every kid will want to put the work required into real training...and if they don't want to do it, they can leave. When I first started teaching, I'd agonize over every student that left. I don't do that any more. I analyze the student and see if I did anything in particular that made them leave...but 99.99% of the time it comes down to the fact that some kids just don't want to work that hard.

TMAA
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Ju-Jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangSooGuy wrote:
...I tend to play the game first, and then ask the kids what it teaches them, and how it relates to their martial arts training.

....When I first started teaching, I'd agonize over every student that left. I don't do that any more. ...but 99.99% of the time it comes down to the fact that some kids just don't want to work that hard.

Asking them how the game relates to training is a good idea. I usually tell them before we play what I want them to focus on (balance, speed, reflexes, etc.) but making them think of it themselves probably reinforces it more.

You're right. Many kids who leave MA training either don't want to do the work, or they find they've got other interests. I don't take it personally when kids leave, and in most cases they're always welcome back.

Thanks for the input.

dtstiachi
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Tai Chi, Kotana Karate, Bagua

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my teacher drills basics all the time. (sometimes to the point of naseua) We will work on a single movement or even posture in the form for a whole class (sometimes 2). This allows us to focus on getting this technique done right. My teacher is great and clear instructor. I have thoroughly enjoyed learing from him.

Sandan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Kobujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to change the focus of the class depending on what is being taught and who is in the class. I focus on some of the more 'game like' activities when I am teching children it's sort of a reward if they have worked hard during the class. It only takes 10 minutes and it's fun for me also.

I don't use the continuous drilling too often, but when I do it's to show people that they can do much more than they thought etc. etc.

ladyj
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: American Karate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games are a great learning tool if used properly. My children get a game about every 3-4 months. I am talking about Sensei Says for instance or a race game. We have a board at the end of the dojo that has cards hanging on it on each card is a progressive technique when they pick a card they have to perform the technique back down the floor and tag the next student if the techniques are done incorrectly they have to go back to the board and start over or they also have an option to pass the technique to another student ( this is for the beginners who may draw an advanced technique). Once again the students who want to train will do basics in repetition and never complain usually those who complain don't stay around. Once again balance is the key.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games and humor are OK in class as long as they relate to THE BASICS. I often do silly or seemingly "off subject" drills and then ask the students to identify the basic concepts hidden in them, i.e., posture, balance, etc. It is an excellent learning tool for all ages and all sports.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let them have a game at the end of class IF they are good during class. I use them as a reward, and teach martial arts the old fashion way during class time...REPS!

Good luck!

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games are all very well but not to the point where they are overshadowing the teaching of MA. I use games occasionally with my beginners class, but probably only once a month or so. I try to make the class interesting for them (there's a difference between interesting and fun) but in the end, I'm there to teach those kids karate, so that's what I try and do.

Sheffield Steelers!

Sandan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Kobujitsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try and make things like kumite more fun. I regularly get my class to play a tiping game where they have a piece of pipe insulation about a foot long and they have to strike their opponent on the head or leg. It makes them move very quickly and gets them focused on kumite without them being scared.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: