Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

boxer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (in the future) would like to compete in MMA/NHB fights, but I need ground fighting work. I have taken SOME JJ, and I now have access to Bayless JJ, and I wondered how long I need to give myself to learn the fundamentals of JJ. Please keep in mind I do not want to rely solely on my stand-up/Muay Thai---I would like to be fairly versed in JJ also.

Thanks.

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well do your jiu jitsu training for a little while and start competing in submission grappling tournaments. that will prepare you pretty well.....you already got the striking just work on your ground skills through training and competition

boxer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you---I was not aware that there was submission grappling tournies without strikes...That would be good to concentrate on grappling only.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To understand fully the fundamentals.basics of Jiu Jitsu (or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - the one i studied) u need to study it for at least 2 years. Most BJJ guys go up to purple belt or something after 2/3 years. U really can't compare striking to grappling, cos they're so different.

Angus

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lars
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The senseis that train me trained for over ten years to get their black belt, but not many people have enough time to train. If your good you can probably get it in 5 years.

Wooly
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say training for the basics of BJJ 6 hours a week....if you're a quick study..2 years. It's worth it!

Slider
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned the basics to survive a ground fight in about 2 months. I think thats the average. The rest of the time is spent learning new locks, holds, and chokes..further enhancing your arsenal. You'll be a good profieciant ground fighter in about 2 months if u are dedicated enough.

Hasta!!
Slider

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-12-11 01:26, Bon wrote:
Most guys get their purple belt in BJJ in 2-3 years ? I thought it took about 10 years to get to black belt in BJJ. How many times a week did these guys train, formally and informally to reach purple belt in 2-3 years ?

I only know two guys who do BJJ, one is my TKD instructor, he's a blue belt after I think like a year or so, and the guy who's school I was looking at earlier this month, he's a brown belt, but I think he's been at it for a LONG time! He was a purple belt for four years before attaining a brown belt. Oh, and by the way...the ranks in BJJ go like this to anyone who doesn't know them (I think this is standard Gracie grading...I've done some reading...White, Blue, Purple, Brown, Black. So yes, two years for a purple belt is a short time, but then again, some just pick things up more quickly!

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you train hard lets say 3 or 4 days a week you should pick up a h$ll of alot of grappling knowledge, do that for about 6 months and you should be more than ready, although it takes some people alot longer to understand the techniques in bjj, also you have to work to blend your muay thai with your bjj, work on taking the guy down from the clinch and you might have to modify your thai clinching habits to be able to take the guy down on a moments notice ,instead of standing there and kneeing him

good luck
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: