Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Dojo wehre i work out there are 4 godan's(5th degree) 1 yondan (4thdegree) , 1 sandan (3degree thats me ) and 1 shodan ( 1st degree) . thats it for the yudansha . we have 1 gokyu and 1 nikyu taht come sometimes and that is it for the class. Which is kind of sad that Sensei is a rokudan (7th degree) . I ahve studied wiht him for almost 18 years and most of the other students have been with him for 20 + years . we ahve a hard time getting or keeping students in a traditional school we work out in a place wiht nmo ac or heat but it is the best training I have every experianced .

Ryukyu kobudo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd add, I've never met or seen a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt but I have been taught by a brownbelt.

Girls kick butt!

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At testing, all the sihons that haven't move away, come to the dojo to grade the lower ranking students. There's around 12. But usually, theres about five that attend every class during the week. The advance class has around 15 black belts.

Its not a question of how many black belts you have in class, but how many black belts that KNOW what they are doing. If you don't have alot of black belts, examine the ability of the black belts now in class. If they are good, stay in class. If they suck, leave. You'll be wasting your money by staying.

benedictbm
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have 3 or 4 first and seconds and our chief instuctor is 4th

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have about 13.... 5 nidans and 8 shodans...... my sensai is a yondan.... we have had others but they have left for personal reasons.... we don't believe in having junior blackbelts, so none of those

I AM CANADIAN

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

three60roundhouse wrote:
Just thought I'd add, I've never met or seen a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt but I have been taught by a brownbelt.

lol

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first club I trained at had 7 (6 1st dans and 2nd dan instructor)

My current club has about 15 1st dans, 5 2nd dans (including me) and 3 4th dans (we got a 6th dan somewhere too).

But being a student university club with a student life cycle of 3 years the vast majority of the club have been training exactly a year. and are...yellow/green belt? I love training at a uni club tho as we have 300ish active students all aged 18-25 Loads of people to play with.

In my opinion it doesn't make a club good or bad if it's got 1 or 100 BB's but the BB's reflect the club standard/bench mark. And all black belts should be awesome to provide inspiration and motivation for the whole class.

Bretty (giving more then his 2 cents worth as usual )

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always trained at places that were top heavy, i.e. : many yudansha, a few middling ranks, adn a few beginners.

KU
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate, Aikido, Kendo.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[CT]pizzaboy wrote:
Its not a question of how many black belts you have in class, but how many black belts that KNOW what they are doing. If you don't have alot of black belts, examine the ability of the black belts now in class. If they are good, stay in class. If they suck, leave. You'll be wasting your money by staying.

One would hope that by the time a person has reached black belt they should know there stuff, if not the dan grade test in the dojo at which they got there grade isn't hard enough and doesn't fully test there ability.

Our dojo consists of 12 dan grades that still consistantly train however, life is what gets in the way when you are trying to train consistantly so this number isn't always this high. Our dan grade loyalty to training is if you can make it you will.

benedictbm
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have 12 blackbelts and 3 jr blackbelts(kids)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: