Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chrisw08
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito/ Kenshin Kan/ of Grandmaster Fusei Kise/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: How many hours private lessons for kuk sool won black belt? Reply with quote

I was wondering private instruction is around 80-120 an hour but how fast do you progress with private lessons. There are not that many belts in kuk sool i was wondering how many hours of private lesson along with training at home for each belt and how many hour to black belt?

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the rule - 30% in the Dojang & 70% outside the Dojang!

If you are practising what you are taught at home, in the park etc, you won't need private lessons. If the Instructor says private lessons are compulsory I would see it as nothing more than a way for him to make money!!!

Just relax, it will take however long it takes for you to get BB! Getting Black Belt is just the beginning anyway

If all you want is a BB and a certificate then move on to a different style collecting "trophies" then you might as well buy some from EBay its cheaper and quicker

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't hate me for my answer...

It's not the hours, but it's the YEARS, however long they might be.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

Solid post!!!

Totally agree, when you have a goal, put in a 1/2 way point aim for this first and then when there reassess the situation to see if BB is all you want! If it is and you don't want 2nd, 3rd etc you might as well give up as 5 years down the line you won't remember anything you learned after giving up and not practising!!!

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to ask how long it is going to take to test for a black belt, you aren't ready to have one.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly agree with everyone's posts to date about the time factor.

If we isolate the private lesson factor, though, I do have a couple of thoughts on it. It's an animal that is still alive and well in BJJ and for good reason I think. With privates (usually around 80-100 for BB's) you get undivided attention of your coach. He's seen your game, knows how you work, and probably has some good recommendations on what to work on with you for an hour of time. Go in with a general idea (like, for some of my own examples: holding mount, de la riva, breaking guard) and let him go with it. Give him a broad canvass to work with, then let him work on the things he thinks will benefit you the most.

For me, these have always been fantastic learning experiences. If you're not routinely taking notes, certainly take them after private sessions. This lets you keep the details (and there should be plenty) right up front in your mind till you make them second nature. Maybe ask if you can video. If you can't or are uncomfortable with the request grab a friend asap and cut a video notebook of your own. Preferably very soon after the private.

Lastly, start incorporating the materiel right away into your live training. Don't wait till you get it perfect. Chances are you'll never use it. Start it immediately and perfect the technique under duress. Then it will be yours.

I agree with the time comments everyone's made, but from someone coming out of a background of getting the occasional private, I'd suggest it when you economic situation will allow. Usually, I use them if I'm having an ongoing problem that I've tracked (another great reason to keep notes) or feel like I'm in a slump.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

mmarichmond
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the rules and instructions of trainer must be followed strictly in order to get your goal.

Jazzstorm
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

True that!

myataschool
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything needs time to sink in and your body needs to develop "muscle memory."
www.myataschool.com

newbiekata
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do Karate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its how much overall commitment as well as deciation you put into learning it that really matters.No one i dont care how good they are when they start wouldnt become a black belt overnight it takes many years of practice over and over again to accomplish it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: