Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question shows up here at KF every once in a while, quite interesting on the variety of private lesson fees. So many things have to be considered when deciding how much to charge for private lessons. Where the MA school is located can be the barometer of what to charge for private lessons.

I truly like what Noah offers for his private lesson across the board.

My private lessons were $100 per lesson overall. My ratio was 80/20. with the 80 being for group lessons VS the 20 for private lessons. The smaller ratio for private lessons wasn't primarily due to the cost, but it was more due to my Student Body preferred the sizes of the group lessons.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My private lessons were $100 per lesson overall. My ratio was 80/20. with the 80 being for group lessons VS the 20 for private lessons. The smaller ratio for private lessons wasn't primarily due to the cost, but it was more due to my Student Body preferred the sizes of the group lessons.

How far did you take the private lessons? Was it only the fundamentals? Were the students who desired private lessons regulars in group classes, or were they more of the "teach me a little bit something of Karate" variety?

just curious

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R5ky wrote:
Quote:

How far did you take the private lessons? Was it only the fundamentals? Were the students who desired private lessons regulars in group classes, or were they more of the "teach me a little bit something of Karate" variety?

just curious

Great questions, R5ky.

Quote:
How far did you take the private lessons? Was it only the fundamentals?

Jukyu to Hachidan. I've several students that have earned their Dan rank while strictly attending private lessons, including Godan. My private lessons were never for introductions of Shindokan nor was it ever for just teaching the fundamentals.

Quote:
Were the students who desired private lessons regulars in group classes, or were they more of the "teach me a little bit something of Karate" variety?

My dojo was my only job, and because of that, my dojo was open 12 hours a day. So, the majority of my private lessons were filled by adults who worked night shifts.

I also had children students that took private lessons after school, and those classes were not a typical after school program where they'd get to play games, watch TV and get milk and cookie.

From time to time a student who was a regular in the group classes would transition into a private lesson and vice versa.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying life and running a dojo had always been a dream of mine; past instructors had highlighted how difficult it was to pay the bills by running a dojo alone. Was your dojo income sufficient for you to maintain health insurance and retirement funds out of curiosity?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: