Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Dekan
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: How much $ for classes and contract questions Reply with quote

I have always heard that Martial Arts classes should be inexpensive and should not involve contracts obligating the student to long periods of time.

The idea being if the Instructor is truly teaching for the good of the art form, and not out to get rich, then he will charge a reasonable rate and not force people to commit to long term contracts.

So, here are my questions:

1) How much is too much???

2) Does a discount for paying multiple months constitute a "contract".

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really depends on where you are at.

In West Virgina more than 30.00 a month is to high because we have a lot of poor people. In LA a 100.00 a week is a super deal.

I would consider that a contract.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G95 is correct in stating that it depends on where you are located. Since I teach privately, I set the amount I get paid per hour. Now here where I'm at, I'd say the average hourly rate for private instruction from a commercial dojo would range from $50-$80 range. I'm nowhere near those amounts .

My students also get a break on the hourly price if they buy multiple lesson plans. But this is not a contract in any form of the word. There is no expiration date on the lesson plans, and they come when their schedule allows.

As far as a discount for multiple months constituting a "contract", I guess it comes down to what is said or written and how you preceive it to mean to you. If it's unclear, then ask for clarification.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Panama city, Panama (Central America) the average is $30-$50 a month in a good school, $80 a month here is super expensive.
You can still catch classes with little groups in Parks and stuff for about $10-$20 a month and sometimes with good quality.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh by the way.. here in Panama School don't work with Contract... you pay monthly or weekly, Period.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should you ask yourself "Am I getting what I am paying for?". I could never put a price on the knowledge, self confidence and skill that I "paid for" over the years and would gladly pay again.
As far as contracts go.. it definetly is a business tool to keep dollars in the school but...it can serve to keep that wishy washy, uncommitted student coming to class just long enough for them to learn the self discipline and perserverance that it takes to become a true martial artist. It's that one student that otherwise would have quit that makes teaching worth it!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

yellowsnow
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay $120 a month for 2 1 hour kickboxing classes and 1 1.5 hour class of jiu-jitsu...plus another drop in jiu-jitsu class on sundays for $15 which costed me $100 dollars registration for that club...this is in Canadian dollars..

YS

BKJ1216
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shudokan Karate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the dojo I'm planning on joining is 50 a month. It use to be 30. But the ASA(American Shudokan Association) must have needed more money from the dojo or something. It's an okay deal I guess.

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in montreal,quebec, canada so i the proces are different but i pay 200$ for 3 months and thats 3 classes a week,

and g95champ is right in l.a its very expensive to train
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: