Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SloMo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: How would you handle this one? Reply with quote

Here's something that happened in one of our kid's sparring classes.

We had two kids ( around 10 years old or so ) sparring. They were doing fine with some of the advanced students and instructors shouting encouragement, hints, etc. When all of a sudden, from the back of the class we hear someone yell "Kick his *butt*!". ( OK, that wasn't the word that was used, the word that was used was part of the problem )

The room went quiet and I was reffing the kids so I couldn't take my attention away for too long but I did turn to see who said it.

It was the mom of one of the kids who was sparring.

So, how would you handle something like that? I should mention that the grandmother of the other kid who was sparring was sitting right next to her and didn't look happy.

tkdBill
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly why I have the lobby and parent viewing areas separated from the workout floor by a wall with windows! I have had parents complain about something in the class or be critical of a something, but I have little tolerance for it.

Your parent needs to be told in no uncertain terms that you will not tolerate an outburst of any sort from any spectators. This one parent could cost you a lot more than what you make from their child if other parents become offended.

--

Grenadier
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was entirely inappropriate for a parent to start hollering things that could be construed as insulting to another student, even if she were merely trying to encourage her own child.

As a rule of thumb, parents are allowed to spectate, and even allowed to applaud with the rest of the class, but as for participating in the class itself in other ways, well, I simply tell them that they are to not interact with the students during the class, unless there is an obvious emergency.

If they can't refrain themselves from doing so, I'll take them aside after the class is over, and give them three choices:

1) Leave the premises while the child is training

2) Firmly, but politely, insist that they keep quiet during the classes and NOT interact with the class, or

3) Have them actually become students in the class, training as Karate-ka.

taiji fajin
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Taijiquan, Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parents can be far worse than the students. I agree with the other people that you need to separate the parents, and / or sternly tell them they cannot interact with the class (except to clap, or yell mutually encouraging things, such as "keep it up guys" or "good work you two").

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All are good suggestions! I would have stopped the class and addressed the spectators right then and there. Nip that one (and any others who may have been thinking of saying the same thing) right in the bud!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

tkdkarategirl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is absolutely insane.

I agree with Ninja nurse...that's what I would do if it were a student in my class misbehaving, stop class and make an example out of them...why not do it for the parents as well?

Additionally, I understand that as a commercial school, you NEED your students (and their parents $$), but from personal experience, you MUST be careful who you allow to stay in your school, it only takes one or two bad attitudes to make a school take a turn for the worst...

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..." Phil. 4:13

usatkdwtf
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: traditional and olympic tkd, boxing, kickboxing, bjj,

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would have made an example out of that parent too, by stopping class, looking back, and saying something like " we dont need that kind of language in here maam, please dont do that again". This would have stopped it. Unless of course whe was a little drunk, and generally not of the "classiest" people. Sometimes these parents come to you.

In most cases though just pullthe parent into your office, and nicely explaing and ask not to disrupt the class.

In my school, encouragement in sparring is somewhat ok, but not in regular class.

Most parents just dont know the rules straight away, so they either have to learn or be told.

again, for that situation though, I would have nipped that in the bud right there, because thats just unacceptable, even for a private class...much less a public one. Next time (if you didnt right then) make a public example of that, so there is no room for misundrstanding by her, or those hearing her.

jarrettmeyer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorei Goju Ryu (6th Kyu)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those parents need to realize that their child's sparring partner is somebody else's child. IMO, that's the bigger disgrace here.

"The only source of knowledge is experience."
-- Albert Einstein

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkdBill wrote:
That's exactly why I have the lobby and parent viewing areas separated from the workout floor by a wall with windows! --

It's the same in my dojang, thank goodness We never really had a problem with parents shouting like that, though (that I know of, that is).

usatkdwtf
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: traditional and olympic tkd, boxing, kickboxing, bjj,

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very small school right now. The workout floor is only 200sq.ft. so the parents are almost (literally) sitting on the workout space. This makes the kids stare at their parents all class, and the parents gesture and shout to the kids. Its completly disruptive. It doesnt happen always, but definetly enough.

Thats why Im so glad we are moving. This place is going to be a carpeted gymnasium with a office and everything. The parents will sit on the bleachers, FAR away from the class, and It will start to feel more like a big school.

Definely no more paren problems. I to always correct them when they would dothis, and it caused tension and stress. This will be great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: