Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

stephen lee
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: longfist/ChinNa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: in need of help from the experienced! Reply with quote

I have studied for almost 2 years by my self, with no instruction, every day.
I have books, and 1 Staff forms tape I learn from. I feel confident I am improving a good bit. but I need more.
I have verry limited income, cannot afford much else for training. I assemled a dummy out of PVC for basic practice, it helps. I use a rope tied from the roof to practice control/depth of my striking. I also use the rope to move around. I train at least 1 hour per day, sometimes 3.

However... I know that somewhere in my forms, I have taught myself wrong.. I dont express the power I should.. and I fear that I will develop a harmful habit. I have run into a wall..

is there any one in Minnesota that could offer me some personal instruction? is there anyone, anywhere that has instructional tapes that I could use? Anything? I am limited on money, but will return borrowd items, or I will pay with the most I can afford!

I am dedicated, I just want to learn correctly.

can anyone offer help?

thank you, Stephen lee.

SandanPJ
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kenpo and Jiujitsu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have any formal training before you went solo?

Learning from a book is limiting your self. Forms are taught wrong on purpose for many styles. Since most of the true meanings are hidden. You could take one form and produce 10,000,000 bunkai for it. A book shows the path, but doesn't show what lies on both sides on it.

My advice would be to look for a YMCA. They offer help and usually have a MA or two. It may not be a Grand Master, but it will add some depth to your training.

stephen lee
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had limited instruction some time ago.
However, a good friend is a Navy SEAL, he instructed the hand combat classes in the Navy for a year, we study together on occasion..

If there were ANY schools near me I would allready be taking classes. I live in a rural part of the state. There was a TKD school here a year ago, but has since closed, and the instructor moved..

I know the drawbacks of learning from a book... But right now its all I have.. I am greatfull for atleast that.. But hoping to acquire more.
Thank you.

paolung
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is good to see you are considering learning from a real live sifu.
books and videos can only take you so far, and are best used as supplements. good luck in your search

Prodigal Son
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: wing chun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you thought about finding a local streetfigher to train with ? good brawlers often know more than they think... or perhaps get a couple of your friends round and just jam - see what works !

Anyway, best of luck with your training - and I hope you find a suitable Sifu.
>>>PS<<<

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a camcorder to record yourself with? You seem to know what your problem is, just not how to fix it. Perhaps if you can watch yourself a little more closely, you'll be able to tell. Just a suggestion

Good luck!

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

jmd161
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hak Fu Mun (Black Tiger) Swai Jiao

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen,

You'll be surprised to know what's in your area that is not listed in the yellow pages.In my area there are no Hung Gar,Northern Eagle Claw,Choy Lay Fut or Black Tiger schools listed.Yet i know two sifu who teach Eagle Claw two that teach Choy Lay Fut one that teaches Hung Gar ,and my sifu teaches Black Tiger.Some teachers don't advertise or teach at schools.Just look around in some unusual places and you might find a teacher.My sifu was'nt teaching when i found him,but i was determined to have him teach me.So now he's teaching me Black Tiger.

jeff

stephen lee
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paolung: thank you, I hope to find a good master!

Prodigal Son: actually I do spar with friends frequently, tho only a handfull are experienced and trained. I do learn much from these matches and of course will continue. actually wish I could spar more! but also, my goal is to learn more advanced than now..
Thanks!

monkeygirl: thats a great idea!! I do have a web cam that can record video clips, so I will have to try that! will have to consider the size of my office area tho so not to destroy anything lol
Thank you!

Jeff: Thank you MUCH! I will have to do some closer inspection in the area, even a little farther out. Glad to hear you found a good Sifu! hope I can do the same!! Thanky you!!!

stephen lee
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: