Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sencha
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Is a cotton gi cooler? Reply with quote

Hi, I am working on my yellow belt and don't do any throws right now so I am considering buying an 8 oz brushed cotton gi with the hopes that it would be cooler than my current 60%/40% cotton poly gi.

Is this a good purchase or will I not notice a difference?

Also, can anyone comment on their experiences with brushed cotton?

Thanks,

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts everyone?

Thanks,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a wide mixture of gi's including brushed cotton. I really like the look and the feel of the brushed cotton gi. I don't prefer it over other gi's I own in it's totality. The gi, for me, must meet the needs for the activity that I'm doing at that time.

Cotton is light, therefore, cotton is cooler whereas a much heavier gi is hotter but the heavier is great in taking the punishment of Judo/BJJ and the like.

So, to answer your question....

Yes, you should notice a cooler workout from the brushed cotton over the cotton/poly and therefore, this is a good purchase, imho. Brushed cotton is also easier to care for than any other gi on the market, imho.

Still, the gi must match the needs of the planned workout, imho.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All other things being equal, cotton should be cooler than poly/cotton. Cotton typically breathes better than poly/cotton. Cotton also typically absorbs more sweat than poly/cotton. Brushed cotton is fluffier and softer than non-brushed cotton. Brushed cotton should absorb sweat more easily than non-brushed cotton.

On the down side, and maybe sensei8 can confirm or refute this, but we've heard from some people that brushed cotton is harder to keep clean than non-brushed cotton. Some have said that the raised fibers trap dirt and stains more easily. We've sold a lot of brushed cotton gis and have rarely heard this, so it might not be much of a problem.

I'm not sure what sensei8 means by "cotton is light." 8 oz brushed cotton is light, but we have several brushed cotton and cotton canvas gis in 14 oz, and most judo gis are 100% cotton. Heavy cotton gis can get hot, too.

Like sensei8 says, it's all about use. If you're going to be doing a lot of throwing soon, you might want to wait until you're ready for a heavier uniform. Then again, for all we know, you could be 11 years old and 70 lbs, in which case you're not going to stress your gi much. If you're 6' 4", 290 lbs, you might not notice the difference.

One thing we haven't mentioned is kumite gis. Kumite gis are typically textured poly/cotton gis designed for freedom of movement and light weight. Adidas has a climacool version with special venting that is supposed to feel pretty cool. Gis like this are the exception to the rule, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the down side, and maybe sensei8 can confirm or refute this, but we've heard from some people that brushed cotton is harder to keep clean than non-brushed cotton. Some have said that the raised fibers trap dirt and stains more easily. We've sold a lot of brushed cotton gis and have rarely heard this, so it might not be much of a problem.

I've not had any issues with keeping brushed cotton clean.

Quote:
I'm not sure what sensei8 means by "cotton is light." 8 oz brushed cotton is light, but we have several brushed cotton and cotton canvas gis in 14 oz, and most judo gis are 100% cotton. Heavy cotton gis can get hot, too.

What I was saying here was, to me, as a rule, cotton is light in the most basic student uniform. Sorry for stepping on my own tongue!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: