Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Do you think this is a good idea?
Yes
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

nathanjusko
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: ITF Tae-Kwon-Do

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Is it alright..? Reply with quote

My mother is an aerobics teacher and has gotten such a following in her careers at different gyms that she is now planning on starting a local studio of her own. She recently (as in less than 10 years) came to Christ and is wishing for the studio to be something more than the entirely secular gyms in the area. I say secular in the fact that you have the steroid junkies, the women with sometimes outrageously provocative clothing, etc. etc. She doesn't want it to be necessarily tied in with our local Church, however, she does want it to be something more of a blend of the spiritual, mental and physical aspects that are often and should be associated with exercise. I am a first dan in Tae Kwon Do and have been receiving lessons from an assortment of instructors over the 9 years of my career, the only reason I am not higher is because of a move that forced me to start over from the WTF patterns and moves to the ITF patterns and moves. That being said, my mother recently approached me and asked if I could teach some classes for her studio with my primary emphasis being focused on teaching patterns and doing a basic drill workout. I don't want it to be another Tae-Bo but still as all of you well know doing the basics in different combinations over and over again with slight variations can be quite a workout. I am also planning on receiving a personal training certification from AFAA (Aerobics and Fitness Association of America) so I will be certified to prevent any lawsuit or legaily issues. That being said, my question is this; do you guys see anything wrong with me leaving my school (I actually left a couple months ago and have been training on my own, due to a strange work schedule, college and the fact that he (my instructor) began focusing on little kids too much in my opinion) and starting my own classes as a first degree black belt? I do not plan on testing people or advancing them through the traditional belt systems, this is simply going to be a workout program with a more traditional martial art approach (i.e. more emphasis on proper techniques and throwing the right moves than your typical gym's kickboxing or Tae-Bo class). Any input or information or anything that comes to mind would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Tae-bo was big I started teaching at our local YMCA. I did not have an aerobics background, but a martial arts background. I came up with 'real' combinations, and the class was great. It was a big switch from the aerobics teachers who went and got a 'kickboxing' certificate in a weekend. I think you should go for it...it is alot of fun!

AngelaG
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Sounds like an interesting idea - just don't release any cheesy videos lol:

http://www.karateresource.com
Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

RavenX
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Sullivan's Kenpo Jiujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a great idea! You should go for it! And it's a good way to help out your mom!

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the issue here is not rank. You would not be teaching TKD so you would not be acting as a BB. You would be teaching "cardio-karate" as a certified aerobics instructor and your experience in TKD will enhance your program.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

searcher
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-ryu(Shorin and Shorei), Isshinryu, Hawaiian Kenpo, Judo, Ryukyu Kobudo Currently studying ITF TKD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you don't tell your "students" that they are receiving killer techniques and that they can defend themselves it should be alright. Just remember that you are teaching aerobics and not TKD. We can grow in our training in some of the most odd places so keep an open mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: