Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

newbiekata
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do Karate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Is it possiable to train in two different styles of Karate Reply with quote

Hi All
I just wanted to know everyones views or opions on this.Which is it possiable to train as well as practice in two different styles of karate at the same time
I would appreciate any views/opinions on this
thanks
newbiekata

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possiable to train in two different styles of Kara Reply with quote

newbiekata wrote:
Hi All
I just wanted to know everyones views or opions on this.Which is it possiable to train as well as practice in two different styles of karate at the same time
thanks
newbiekata

If you want to get yourself very confused by conflicting body mechanics, movements, methodologies and standards then yes, you can train in two styles of karate. It is one thing to develop a base in one style and then cross train with other styles, but to try to conform to the curriculum of two separate karate styles is going to severely hamper your ability to learn and grow.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

chiliphil1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possiable to train in two different styles of Kara Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
newbiekata wrote:
Hi All
thanks
newbiekata

If you want to get yourself very confused by conflicting body mechanics, movements, methodologies and standards then yes, you can train in two styles of karate. It is one thing to develop a base in one style and then cross train with other styles, but to try to conform to the curriculum of two separate karate styles is going to severely hamper your ability to learn and grow.

+1 for above.

I just want to mention that many people do in fact train in different arts, however you will find that most of them are either a high ranking colored belt, or a black belt before they take on the second style.

8th Kyu
Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

Fu Man
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Present: Isshinryu & Shotokan| Past: Balintawak, Jidokwan & Judo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that you are presently studying Tang Soo Do. With that said, if the other Karate style is very similar to Tang Soo Do, such as Shotokan, you might be okay with adapting to both classes as a novice. However, due to the similarities, it would almost be pointless to pursue both martial arts at this time.

Conversely, if the other Karate style is drastically different, such as Isshinryu, I would definitely advice against it until later. The differences will hinder your overall development in both martial arts.

Either way, you are better off staying with one Karate style until shodan, in my opinion.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can cross train, a stand up style and ground work style together would work well, but it's very hard work to give both equal justice.
The fact that many Karate styles are similar but very different, (sorry for the paradox but Martial Arts is full of them), is what makes two styles together in Karate so difficult and confusing. Focus, timing and body mechanics can differ greatly in two movements that look identical to the untrained eye. I would cross train by all means; but doing it in two distinct styles is easier.

newbiekata
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fu Man wrote:
I noticed that you are presently studying Tang Soo Do. With that said, if the other Karate style is very similar to Tang Soo Do, such as Shotokan, you might be okay with adapting to both classes as a novice. However, due to the similarities, it would almost be pointless to pursue both martial arts at this time.

Conversely, if the other Karate style is drastically different, such as Isshinryu, I would definitely advice against it until later. The differences will hinder your overall development in both martial arts.

Either way, you are better off staying with one Karate style until shodan, in my opinion.

Thanks for your viewpoint "Fu Man" the other Karate Style i had in mind wasnt Shokan it was Shukokai Karate.Which i think is very different to the Tang so Do syle i have already started in.

newbiekata
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyones views on what i asked,its greatly appreciated.I see how Tang so Do goes first then when i am further up the Gups then decide

newbiekata
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
You can cross train, a stand up style and ground work style together would work well, but it's very hard work to give both equal justice.
The fact that many Karate styles are similar but very different, (sorry for the paradox but Martial Arts is full of them), is what makes two styles together in Karate so difficult and confusing. Focus, timing and body mechanics can differ greatly in two movements that look identical to the untrained eye. I would cross train by all means; but doing it in two distinct styles is easier.

Thanks for the above advice Harkon72,I really appreciate it

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right; i've done two arts at once. I would have a two hour class in each both on the same day; in the first class, we would spend an hour trying to undo my habit of keeping my feet parallel, and then in the second class, we would spend the first hour trying to make sure my feet were always habitually parallel. It was wasting a lot of everyone's time.

I have a student right now who has a background in gongfu; much of the time we have had together in class has consisted of me trying to extinguish the asian heel-driving body mechanics from his wushu kicks and replace it with the african core-wringing body mechanics from capoeira; the heel wringing changes the structure and breaks the interchangability and flow between techniques that is of core importance to us. As a result, he is now a bit behind the woman who started on the same day without any martial arts background. She has had no confusion on body mechanics, so i've had the time to offer a few more advanced topics. He hasn't been able to do those because his body mechanics didn't facilitate them while the form issues existed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: